Rookie

Speed is much slower than advertised

I just moved into my new house in Ithaca NY, and upgraded my internet plan to Ultima 300...

But it's no way near 300Mb/s. I've tested a whole week with the wired connection to the modem, the download speed is 60Mb/s. If it is 100Mb/s, I can accept that. 60Mb is only 1/5 of the advertised speed. I am using the official test website. And the modem is just upgraded from the local store, it shouldn't be the modem problem.

I tried to consult with the online chat in the weekend. All they did was reset and reset...

I paid more for more speed, I am very disappointed with TWC right now.

17 REPLIES 17
Established Sharer

Re: Speed is much slower than advertised

It could be that your area is still limited to the old "Ultimate" Internet (50/5), as that service is typically closer to 60/6 when everything is running well.  TWC has been caught selling the 100/200/300 Mbps MAXX tiers in areas that have not been upgraded to MAXX yet more than once in the past several months.

Expert

IF you are seeing 60/5, that area is not running a maxx upgraded speed, You'd see 60/20 with impaired downstream...

What modem do you have?

Copy and paste the signal level pages...

Rookie

Hi RickE,

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to know that my current address is compatible with the Ultimate 300 plan? Because I typed in my current address in TWC website, and it said I am eligible for the upgrade.

Expert

The website is wrong, it doesn't know MAXX got cancelled by Spectrum....

Copy and paste the modems signal level pages...

Helper

The web site is owned by the company, its false marketing and there is no need for his signals.. He is not getting the speeds because the switch was never turned on.
Helper

Unfortunately they are still selling the  Maxx speed of 300 for Ithaca,  but after the Time Warner merger was completed, they halted the switch/upgrade the Ultimate was to go from 50 to 300 on June first .. approximately, they halted all  upgrades as of May 26 or so, unfortunately they are still SELLING, and MARKETING 300mbs/ in Ithaca, NY.. Not a good practice in my opinion, I Notified them that were still selling it, I got no response, and the website, and computers still show 300Mbs.

There is no need to post your signal levels aif you are getting around 50Mbs. that is the max you will  get in 14850. The nodes were ready and  you may see speeds of 60/6 or 60/10 because the nodes are in place.

Rookie

This is the test I got with wired connections to the modem.

Modem model: ubee DVW32CB

Most likely, there is no such ultimate service at all here. I will call them and ask them to refund my money tomorrow.

Helper

Right, I think you will find out Ultimate in Ithaca is 50.

Rookie

I'd like to comment about your post while also stating that I'd like to submit my own post but find the process frustrating and not simple.

My service is called " extreme " and should be 200 MGs. I was very pleased that I was close to the 200 mgs and at times a bit above. I even took a screen shot because of how impressive it was. I did speed tests several times of a couple of months and then just accepted that I was getting what I paid for.

This week while negotiating my new " campaign " which I've been informed is no long a term used by TWC since merging with Charter. That said all week my speed fell off critically. I spent almost 5 hours on the phone yesterday troubling shooting. The process was amature at best and the explaination was worse. My speed is now consistantly 69 mgs when I'm paying for 200.

Beside wanting to start my own post I think what I'm going to say next applies to your question: The tech department and whether in the office or in the field will find every excuse in the world to blame you, your equipment, the weather, atmospheric conditions, traffic, outables, and NON TWC device hooked up to your system. It truly is a joke what these people are willing to do to not accept ANY B:LAME. They do not know what it means to OWN UP.

Since my speed declined TWC has asked me to disconnect EVERY wifi device including my printer. They get it stripped down to nothing except the modem/router and STILL look to find excuses.

If you perhpas noticed this has become the business model for all business's. No one own's ANY responsibility for their service and product deficencies. 

I'm going to suggest to them that I only pay for what I get/use sorta like your utility bill. If I am not using the 220 V then all I want to pay for is use whether it comes from 220, 120, or sublimented power from solar and wind. There is a law for the utilities that says they must buy back anything more than you use and perhaps produce. Why not write to the congressmen and or senators and ask them to impliment the same law.

I wish I had every word recorded because the closest thing I've ever seen to this non-sense is in George Orwell's 1984. All Pigs are created equal but some pigs are more equal than others.

ECO