Highlighted
Browser

Speed Routinely 10% Lower than Plan

I've had 100Mbps service for 2 1/2 months now.  I've regularly checked the speed of my service using speedtest.net and the TWC version of speed test.  I have never gotten 100 Mpbs.  I'm usually in the mid to high 80s.  I follow the directions correctly.  What can I do to get the advertised speed?  I download large files for work and am often up against my speed cap, so a boost would certainly help.

9 REPLIES 9
Established Sharer

Re: Speed Routinely 10% Lower than Plan

@bradarussell wrote:

I've had 100Mbps service for 2 1/2 months now.  I've regularly checked the speed of my service using speedtest.net and the TWC version of speed test.  I have never gotten 100 Mpbs.  I'm usually in the mid to high 80s.  I follow the directions correctly.  What can I do to get the advertised speed?  I download large files for work and am often up against my speed cap, so a boost would certainly help.

------

Plan speeds are NOT guaranteed, they are '"up to".

If you were getting half your plan speed, then you'd have good reason to complain.

Helper

If you are testing through wireless that might be normal. could you check it wired if you haven't yet?
Browser

I was not complaining. I was asking how I might get the advertised speed. I think there's a big difference. I see people routinely say they get speeds in excess of the advertised numbers, so I was hoping I could get at least what is advertised.

Regardless, if you have any help I'm all ears. If not, that's fine.
Helper

to be honest I would be asking as well.
Spectrum Employee

@DaKat wrote:

@bradarussell wrote:

------

Plan speeds are NOT guaranteed, they are '"up to".

If you were getting half your plan speed, then you'd have good reason to complain.

I asked this question on our team chat room once, about if we were supposed to have the quoted bandwidth or not and when it should be considered "service impacting".

My department (which isn't necessarily the same as other departments in other markets) uses the general rule-of-thumb that if it's more than 20% off, (less than 80% of what it normally should be), for either upstream and/or downstream, then we should consider that service impacting.  Typically if it's going that low, there's other issues anyways (i.e.: packet loss) than can be identified.  But not always.  Sometimes is issues with certain IXPs connecting TWC's hub in your area to other IXPs.

Also, do NOT trust certain speed tests.  Sony's Playstation and the XBox's speeds test are notoriously inaccurate.  Not only that, many people don't understand that the NIC can have a major role, or that WiFi HSD speed isn't guaranteed by TWC because we simply cannot control environmental factors (such as EMI from neighbor's WiFi's jamming your because they're overlapping the 2.4 GHz channel you're broadcasting on).  There are several of factors to consider, and not all of those TWC can really do much about.

Remember, we actually provision modems for MORE speed than what we quote in sales, to act as an engineered buffer.

(i.e.: 50 Mbps is actually ~61.44 Mbps)

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Expert

You need a gigabit 1000 base router, good cat 5e or cat 6 cables and a 1000 base nic card

Check speed without the router, turn off all cloud type garbage.

Established Sharer

I've regularly checked the speed of my service using speedtest.net and the TWC version of speed test.

Both should give you good data, so you're doing good on that front.  Did you run your speed tests when only a single device was using the service, and that device was a wired device with a Gigabit Ethernet port?  If not, try that and see if the results are better.  If so, then your previous results were likely skewed by traffic from other devices.  All speed tests show you the "remaining" speed, so if you have other devices that are consistently taking 10-15 Mbps, you'll see results in the mid to high 80s.

If the results still suggest the TWC can't supply you with 100/10 service, you might consider dropping to the 50/5 tier and saving $10 per month on your bill (assuming that you are paying retail rates, if you are on a promotional plan you probably don't want to change it until the plan expires).  Or switch to another Internet provider, if another is available to you.  Or live with download speeds in the mid to high 80s.

Browser

Thanks for all the input.  I am on a wired, Gigabit NIC connection.  

I had not considered this before, but I'm using a several year old Netgear WNR2000 router.  It looks like the ethernet ports on it are 10/100.  Would that likely be the issue?  I can get another router, if so.  

I have been testing the speeds with only one device using the network and making sure there's nothing else using bandwidth when I do the test.

Established Sharer

Yes, if the router has a high packet switching overhead, that could eat up 10% or so of your bandwidth.  An easy test would be to temporarily remove the router, connect directly to the cable modem (remember to power cycle the cable modem) and see if you get full speed.  If so, buy a new router with Gigabit WAN/LAN ports (plenty to choose from).