Proven Sharer

Re: Speed Dropping Drastically During Peak Hours

Two things to look at:

1)  When you removed the splitter, the DS signals went up by almost 8 dB.  The loss from a 2-way splitter is only 4 dB.  Something else changed - maybe a bad cable connector.

2)  If cabling for the new subdivision next door is under construction, I suspect that there is a bad connection along the new trunk line which is acting as an antenna for outside interference.  Call in your complaint to the local office as well as the phone or chat help desk.  The local technical service folks can apply pressure on their new build contractor to fix the signal ingress problem that affects the entire node.

Spectator

Thank you. Called and chatted with support last night. They showed communication issues with my modem. They did something on their end to clear it and had me restart the modem. They said it looked good on their end, but I had no change on mine so they are sending a tech out Wednesday evening. Is their any of this info I should print out and give to him or explain? I do not want to insult his intelligence, but I want to be thorough about it.  Thank you

Expert

The phone support cannot do anything to change or fix bad levels..... All they can do is remotely "unplug the modem" lol... It needs a tech out, maybe the splitter is blown. You cannot have open splitter ports and cables from a splitter off to unused splitter ports. If you're internet only, there should be no splitters. If one is used as an attenuator, it must have terminator resistors on the empty ports...

Spectator

I figured as much. It did have caps on the unused ports of the splitter. I guess they used that instead of one of those male adapter couplings. House is prewired to all the rooms with dedicated runs, but none of them are terminated on either end. I took it out and it didn’t help anyway. I am internet only.
Expert

If levels went up by 8 dB, it was not a 2 way splitter and was either a 3 way, with modem on a -7 dB port or a 4 way where all 4 ports are -7 dB... Or it could be a directional coupler that looks like a 2 way  but has a tap level that's lower than the out-thru level....  

Since you used the plural "caps" i'll guess it was a 3-4way, a 8 port has 10-11 dB of loss.

There was something else wrong as removing the splitter moved the s/n up from a marginal 34 dB to an acceptable 37 dB..... This could be a flakey modem, if it's a rental one, try to get a different model to see if that helps....

Looks like this is some sort of TWC/Spectrum issue...