Observer

Spectrum worse than Time warner

Spectrum is playing games with the internet.  I replaced my cable modem, tried a wifi expander and yet the service keeps declining.   It is obvious Spectrum throws you off and changes the speed at their option despite paying for extreme internet.  

At this point I am sending reports to the Attorney General who already filed a suit against Time Warner for misrepresenting their internet access speeds.  I am investigating Fios for others have indicated less issues with Fios. Spectrum is consistently raising prices WHILE PROVIDING LESS SERVICE. 

Truly getting fed up

9 REPLIES 9
Proven Sharer

Re: Spectrum worse than Time warner

So would you mind posting your modem signal levels?  There could be a problem in your cabling. 

Do you see better speeds when you are connected via ethernet cable to the router?  What about directly to the modem?

Are you paying Spectrum for WiFi?

Do you live in a congested area (i.e. - a city) where you can connect to 24 different wi-fi networks from your couch?  If you live in an apartment bulding, you are fighting your neighbors for bandwidth, and your only hope to improve is to configure your wireless router to use a channel they aren't using...  Your essentially trying to fly a plane through a thunderstorm.  If your problems are indeed WiFi traffic related, you will see similar issues with other ISPs.

Observer

No apartment building private house.  Not the most congested area in the world upstate New York.  Spectrum guys do make a mess with cabling and each time they come they shift something BUT it always does the same within a week or two of their leaving.

Modem is brand new, one of the Spectrum recommended models using the latest protocols.

My only other thought is that Spectrum does not work with IPV6.  if so they should speak up which so far they have not

Proven Sharer

So what does your modem signal level pages display?

Trusted Helper

@er100 wrote:

No apartment building private house.  Not the most congested area in the world upstate New York.  Spectrum guys do make a mess with cabling and each time they come they shift something BUT it always does the same within a week or two of their leaving.

Modem is brand new, one of the Spectrum recommended models using the latest protocols.

My only other thought is that Spectrum does not work with IPV6.  if so they should speak up which so far they have not

Also,

Wait for at least six hours before posting your signals.  Avoid resetting boxes or modems during that time, as this resets the error codes and our signal readers need to see those.  When was the last time you had your signals or drop line checked?  If those check out OK, maybe try a different model modem.  What is the make and model of the modem that Spectrum gave you?  Additionally, do you have Wireless Internet?  If so, what is the make and model of your router?  What is the series letter?  (Found on the bottom of the router.)  Newer routers have better dynamic range.

Satch

Expert

need to see the signal page, error log,

Are you  using a seperate router?

Also a cmd level tracert to google.com.

Proven Sharer

Haven't heard of a 'WiFi expander', but if you meant to type  'a coverage extender', be careful.  Most models eat up half your WiFi speed to give you the extra range.  That might not be a wise tradeoff, and forum contributors usually discourage using them.  

As for IPv6, Spectrum does not recommend any specific modems or gateway devices.  The published list of Spectrum approved devices does include notes about maximum speed capability of each model as well as its IPv6 compatibility.   Not all of the approved units support IPv6; each customer needs to read first and educate himself before making a purchase.  

We can tell you more about your specific model of modem if you tell us what are using, but we don't read minds.

Highlighted
Participant

@er100 wrote:
Spectrum is consistently raising prices WHILE PROVIDING LESS SERVICE.

With all due respect, I can't say my experience with Spectrum is any better or worse than TWC. But Spectrum is cheaper than TWC, for me at least.

My TWC bill of $112/month went down to $75/month when I switched to Spectrum.

But they are now charging $1/month more ($7) for the "Spectrum Receiver" which I hardly use, and about $1.50/month more for some "Broadcast TV Surcharge", since 2/2018.

Proven Sharer

In general Spectrum has been lowering the charges and raising the speeds of internet service.  The (recently increased) Broadcast Surcharge fees are payments negotiated by your local TV stations to allow Spectrum to carry those stations on cable.  They are NOT part of your internet service fees, so don't accidentally factor them into your mental  calculations and complaints about internet prices.  You can 'cut the cord' to make the broadcast surcharge go away. 

Rookie

I live in upstate also and have speed issues. My bill clearly shows i have to 200/20 package yet im only getting 30/5. I had a tech come out to my home on friday and he did all the nessesary test to my modem and lines. He was stumped. He goes outside to call someone and later comes in to tell me that they have reduced legacy time warner customers speeds to 30/5.  This company is absolutely unethical in the way they conduct bussiness. My bill clearly states the dates my service runs through yet you take away my speeds even though it clearly says on my bill that i have them. I will be filing a complain with the NYPSC.