Highlighted
Valued Participant

Spectrum upgrades in my area

Earlier today, I noticed some Spectrum folks doing line upgrades in my backyard. My nearest neighbor is a mile away so needless to say, this was weird.  Aside from informing me that they were installing fiber, they couldn't elaborate on the upgrade. This is a curious situtation because they were installing lines in a place that none existed before. Currently, I get my cable from off the street in the front yard and this was being installed in my backyard on the same pole as my electric. 

Any ideas on who I could call to find out what's going on? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Proven Sharer

Re: Spectrum upgrades in my area

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you didn't give us any clue where you are located, so how would we know or even guess at whom you should contact?  Your ZIP Code is enough for the forums while safeguarding your personal information. 

In general, Spectrum uses fiber for backhaul from their field nodes to the CMTS.  Those fiber routes don't follow the same right of way as the legacy coaxial cable.  So if Spectrum is adding additional nodes in your area to provide additional digital information used for either video program channels or internet streaming, they would need more fiber capacity. 

Valued Participant

No offense taken. I live in the 14541 area code.

Also, it appears you answered my question for the most part towards the end of your post. Thank you. 

Proven Sharer

Exactly my intention!
Valued Participant

This stuff actually interests me out of total curiosity. In the end, they installed 2 lines on the same pole. One thicker than the other. Which do each represent?