Spectator

Spectrum blocking university websites

For work I need access to the following websites:

https://sslvpn.mednet.ucla.edu
https://assist.dgsom.ucla.edu/

Since 4/20/18, they've been blocked through my ISP (Spectrum Time Warner). I'm able to access the website fine through my phone (Verizon) and other proxy websites. So the problem seems to be coming from Spectrum. Spectrum denies that block any websites. I'm not sure why else I'm unable to ping or go to the addresses above. I've tried using the IP address as well and get time out errors.

13 REPLIES 13
Proven Sharer

Re: Spectrum blocking university websites

What kind of error message are your getting?

What DNS are you using?

Spectator

I get time out errors.

When I had Spectrum tech support try to access the same sites, they couldn't. Are you able to?

I'm not designating any specific DNS. I get the error hooked up to my cable modem directly.

Proven Sharer

@bobackwrote:

...  edited  ...

I'm not designating any specific DNS. I get the error hooked up to my cable modem directly.

I just tried opening new links to both sites from here in the Great Lakes area and got the expected displays - VPN log-in and the UCLA home page.  If you continue to have issues with the UCLA site, you should be able to get IT support from your employer or from UCLA's IT staff. 

BTW, someone should have pointed out that you DO need a router between the modem LAN jack and your computer, especially when you are trying to run a VPN into the UCLA site. 

Proven Sharer

@bobackwrote:

I get time out errors.

When I had Spectrum tech support try to access the same sites, they couldn't. Are you able to?

I can connect using Spectrum internet.

Lead Moderator

Good morning. 

I can reach both from here on my work network and on our test connection on wireless. 

Are you still having issues?

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Spectator

A senior Spectrum technician had me run tracert to see what server what timing out. It’s not Spectrum’s fault. After being relayed through spectrum and handed off to university servers, the servers within the university are timing out. Pretty cool diagnostic.
Participant

@bobackwrote:
A senior Spectrum technician had me run tracert to see what server what timing out. It’s not Spectrum’s fault. After being relayed through spectrum and handed off to university servers, the servers within the university are timing out. Pretty cool diagnostic.

Except myself and several other above can all get to those websites.  If the issue was "the servers within the university are timing out", wouldn't we all have trouble reaching them?  I'm just wondering...

Proven Sharer

@Boz1wrote:

@bobackwrote:

Except myself and several other above can all get to those websites.  If the issue was "the servers within the university are timing out", wouldn't we all have trouble reaching them?  I'm just wondering...

Those of us who can access UCLA are not using the same network route as @boback.  Spectrum has several different IXP locations around the country and the internet routes from each of those handoff sites to UCLA's servers will all be different.  Something in the chain from boback's IXP to UCLA is not passing traffic.

This is often caused by one DNS that did not process its daily DNS update correctly.  If boback posts his tracert listing, we should be able to see both the last good device name and/or its IP address and the next device downstream which is failing to route properly.

Spectator

Here's my tracing:

Tracing route to sslvpn.mednet.ucla.edu [149.142.80.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    10 ms     8 ms    10 ms  142.254.182.193
  3    13 ms     7 ms     9 ms  76.167.31.213
  4    15 ms    11 ms    11 ms  agg20.lamrcadq02r.socal.rr.com [72.129.10.130]
  5    21 ms    14 ms    15 ms  agg28.tustcaft01r.socal.rr.com [72.129.9.2]
  6    17 ms    15 ms    15 ms  bu-ether16.tustca4200w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.64]
  7    18 ms    15 ms    14 ms  be4.clmkohpe01r.midwest.rr.com [107.14.19.37]
  8    42 ms    11 ms    12 ms  0.ae2.pr0.lax00.tbone.rr.com [107.14.19.138]
  9    13 ms    16 ms    10 ms  UniversityCorpforAdvancedInternet.as11164.any2ix.coresite.com [206.72.210.14]
 10    22 ms    12 ms    12 ms  et-1-0-2.0.rtsw.losa.net.internet2.edu [64.57.20.82]
 11    13 ms    15 ms     9 ms  64.57.20.83
 12    14 ms    13 ms    13 ms  dc-lax-agg6--lax-agg8-100ge-#3.cenic.net [137.164.11.34]
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14    16 ms    12 ms    15 ms  bd11f1.anderson--cr00f2.csb1.ucla.net [169.232.4.4]
 15    13 ms    13 ms    12 ms  cr00f2.csb1--dr00f1.anderson.ucla.net [169.232.4.57]
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *