Observer

Re: Spectrum 400mbps

@MsRaye wrote:

no one should need to come out unless you have signal issues.. Post that page, lets see if anything is obvious.

Thank you this is all I wanted to know. I’m not sure why they want to charge an activation fee when they haven’t done it before. I’m not having issues with my internet. I was just told in order to upgrade someone needed to come out and connect me to the 400mbps speeds which will cost me 50$. Right now I pay for 100mbps and have no issue reaching this. I’ll wait until 200 is standard and move in that direction. Thanks for you help. 

Community Manager

@Gf

I would like to provide some clarification and hopefully clear up any confusion.  Specific to the Los Angeles area,  400Mbps speeds are available, and there is a $49.99  installation fee to upgrade services to the increased speed.  Currently, only the Technicolor modem that we provide is approved for speeds of 400Mbps or above on our network.   For that reason, we are currently requiring that all customers who upgrade to this speed use a modem provided by us at no additional charge.   We are recommending that customers have a technician install the modem and test the speed as well as resolve any signal issues.  Customers are currently not able to have their own modems with this speed.  Customers can choose to complete a self install and obtain the Technicolor modem from a Spectrum Store,  however the $49.99 fee will still be charged.    

I hope this was helpful and please let us know if you have additional questions.   You can also contact support directly for further assistance.

Please contact us at: 

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Expert

Problem is that customers have no clue if they have signal issues and  many who upgrade do because they think a newer or faster modem will solve the actual underlying coaxial issue.

We have to pull teeth to get them to post the level pages here.  Then half of those that respond, do have actual observable issues that need to be corrected and yes a tech needs to be dispatched to repair or escalate the issue. before thgat speed is offered and billed for.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

And ... infrastructure repair is a service call that is NOT billable to the customer.   If the LA office cannot afford to keep their physical plant running at proper performance levels, they need Spectrum to adjust their business plan. 

Rookie

Interesting what the tech was to do and why. How do you check the levels you mention and see if signal is the issue? I was expecting the tech to do that and as even a main reason for why one was required, the other being to install an “amplifier” which just turned out to be a modem. The tech simply unplugged my modem, plugged in new one, and when internet led lit said all is good. When asked about line signal good enough for 400 the tech said “line is fine” and said he checked by just looking on his phone from outside the building. I thought he was going to hook his device to the line instead of the modem like other techs did and evaluate. My speed isn’t any faster than when on the 100, except uploads.
Expert

Copy and paste the signal level pages and whether you have cable tv service.

Rookie

I upgraded to Spectrum Ultra on 3/13, and the (totally great!) technician installed an ARRIS TM1602 modem.  Per James' 1/25 post above, I see that the only modem approved for the 400+ speed is the Technicolor TC4400. What should I do to have Spectrum swap the ARRIS with the TC, and will I be charged for the swap/visit? Thanks for the help!