Highlighted
Observer

Spectrum 400mbps

So today I was going to upgrade from a legacy TWC 100 to a spectrum 400. I was told that I would be charged a activation fee of 49.99 and a tech needed to come out to set this up. Is this true? I have my own modem and have for years and previous times I’ve uppped my speed no one needed to come out. I’m in the Los Angeles area for reference.
16 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Spectrum 400mbps

What modem do you own and what is your need for the 400 speed?

Observer

Motorola 7540. I have a elaborate HomeKit setup maybe about 15-20 devices on my network. plus at least 3-4 devices that could stream 4k at the same time. But also why does anyone need the top tier these isps carry?

I think I’d be fine with 200mbps but it’s not in my area yet.
Proven Sharer

If your area does not have 200 or 300 Mbps available, stay with what you know and what your existing customer-owned equipment supports.  You can always move up beyond 100 Mbps by using the [free] Spectrum modem provided for the speed tier you choose in the future.  Just remember that your router and WiFi should be rated for at least twice the speed of your service.  I personally suggest a router with dual or tri-band WiFi rated at least 1900 Mbps over the air, Gigabit ethernet ports, and several big ugly antennas. 

Observer

My modem is rated at 686 mbps 16x4 docsis 3.0 so I’m sure I’d be fine with 400mbps. I’m using a eero mesh system and that allows me to usually get full speed throughout 90% of the day. I guess I’ll just wait until spectrum 200 is the standard and move over then.
Proven Sharer

The correct answer to the question of speed is NOT the number that the marketing folks printed on the box.  Instead, it is the fastest speed at which Spectrum has evaluated and certified the modem to function on their cable network.  Many modems labeled as "DOCSIS 3.0 compliant, speeds up to 686 Mbps" will  actually only receive internet data at 300 Mbps or less on Spectrum's cable plant. 

Spectrum determines the operating speed  and publishes a list of equipment that they can accept for customer purchase and operation on their system.   If your COAM modem is approved (and many are not) you can look up its top speed right on this web site, at https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/modems.html

Observer

karlbeckman wrote:

The correct answer to the question of speed is NOT the number that the marketing folks printed on the box.  Instead, it is the fastest speed at which Spectrum has evaluated and certified the modem to function on their cable network.  Many modems labeled as "DOCSIS 3.0 compliant, speeds up to 686 Mbps" will  actually only receive internet data at 300 Mbps or less on Spectrum's cable plant. 
Spectrum determines the operating speed  and publishes a list of equipment that they can accept for customer purchase and operation on their system.   If your COAM modem is approved (and many are not) you can look up its top speed right on this web site, at https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/modems.html

Thanks I own 2 of the approved modems on this list. One in the 400mbps category and one in the 300mpbs. I’m not as smart as most of you here with how Time Warner works. But I know how to purchase modems that are compliant with what speeds I’m looking for. My quest which still hasn’t been answered was if it’s true someone needs to come out and activate the 400 speeds ( this is where my knowledge of Time Warner / spectrum ends ) I don’t want to pay 49$ if I don’t have too.  Me having the right modem was never a concern because I know I have the proper modems to reach up to their top tier in my area. Thanks for your help though 

Owneded modems

SB6190 - approved spectrum 400mbps

Motorola MG7540 - approved spectrum 300mbps
Expert

no one should need to come out unless you have signal issues.. Post that page, lets see if anything is obvious.

Helper

@Gf wrote:

This is the answer to your question.

The 7540 may be rated to operate at up to 686 Mbps but Spectrum will only provision it up to 300.

Observer

@reds91185 wrote:

@Gf wrote:

This is the answer to your question.

The 7540 may be rated to operate at up to 686 Mbps but Spectrum will only provision it up to 300.

No this isn’t the answer. You may have skipped over me saying I have 2 modems that are approved by TWC/spectrum. One that will provision 400mbps and one that will provision on 300. I have equipment for both. My question was if someone needed to come and connect the 400 speed thus charging me an additional 50$.  But thanks