Rookie

Snail speed

Switching to cable to get better speeds, but so far no joy. New Netgear CB700 modem connected directly to the line from the street with Ethernet ou directly to desktop or laptop, the speed is so slow online speedtests are impossible. When speedtest.net finally connects and displays, clicking the go button results in nothing but an interminable wait. It is connected, 'cuz ebay.com will eventually come up, but forget about searching for anything! Two days in a row hour-logn phone wit Spectrum could't fix it. Service call now scheduled.

Any ideas? Is this kind of problem common in the cable world theses days? Mayby I should stick with the 2.5Mbps down/0.35Mbps up I get with AT&T DSL :-(

9 REPLIES
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: Snail speed

First, as of a few minutes ago Netgear doesn't show a CB700 model in their product lineup, it's a CM700 modem-only.  Did you follow the process to register your new CM700 modem-only onto Spectrum's cable network?  You will need to give them the modem's exact MAC ID as well as its make and model number.  If they don't match exactly, your modem won't be properly provisioned.  But that's not all!

Next, the CM700 is only a minimally qualified device, not fully approved by Spectrum.  Though permitted for use on the Spectrum network, we recommend against using Minimally Qualified Modems, because they haven’t been tested to confirm their ability to deliver your purchased internet service speed.

Third, you also MUST use an ethernet router, either integrated with the modem and WiFi or as a separate device.  A modem-only connection doesn't work without you doing a LOT of special setup programming  and limits yiou to just one connected device at a time.  If the router you acquire has been used previously, you will have to perform a factory reset on it so that it can accept the Spectrum DNS Server addresses and the DHCP parameters needed for your home LAN (which come from the new CM700 modem-only). 

Rookie

Thanks, Karl. Did all of steps. Although it doesn't show online, the Spectrum tech said the list hadn't been updated. He also said it was well suited to my plan. I do have a router... Linksys WRT 1900. Sure HOPE it doesn't have to be reset to factory. I do normally have everything in the house... lots of stuff, connect to it. I left it out for setup of cable modem, per instructions from Netgear and Spectrum. Hopefully, I will soon be able to reconnect through the router. I expect that to be easy once Spectrum can deal with a computer. BTW, neither desktop or laptop work with spectrum now, even though both work fine on ATT DSL. It's a Spectrum issue.
Helper

What speed tier do you pay for? What are you seeing in tests?

Post the modem's signal levels page. I bet you have damaged coax, loose connections, or something like that causing your problems.

Rookie

Thanks Reds. I signed up for Ultra, or that's what I think they called it. Was told it's good for 200 Mbps. My understanding, though is they don't commit to what you may actually get because it vays a lot.

At my request, TWC pulled new cable from the street 3 years ago because we were putting in a new driveway. At the time we were not subcriibers. When I sighne up a few days ago, Spectrum cam out and connected that cable at the street box and to the inhouse cable in the garage. In one of my tests, I disconnected the street cable from the attic cable and used a brand new  100' RG6 cable with prefitted connectors and ran it down the hall to the modem. Absolutely no different from when the attic cable is used. The modem completes its handshake sequence, and LEDs indicate it's connected to Spectrum. However, when I try speedtest.net as recommended by tech support, it a long, long, long time to even bring up the page. then, clicking Go results in no response... or perhaps it would eventually do something but couldn't possibly register any sensible speed at all!

Spectrum is supposed to be here in a few hours. I'll report back...

Thanks for your interest.

Ed

Rookie

Update: 

Service tech was here for over 2 hours yesterday. Some progress. It now gets very good speeds (400 download, somewhat lorer upload) when the modum is connected directly to my desktop. However, it drops down to about 2 when the modem is connected to my LinkSys WRT 1900 AC router. 

Here's what he did:

1. Worked his way from to the street to the wall outlet, replacing all connectors and removing a couple unnecessary splitters in the attic.

2. Talked me into replacing my new NetGear modem with a Spectrum-labeled unit. He said it's free and no monthly charge, and guaranteed. I'll see if Frys will take back the NetGear.

3. Noticed that "some settings were incomplete at the Spectrum plant." I think some of the IPiv4/6 addresses... not sure. This was the big break-through, resulting in wanted speeds when connected to the desktop.

4. Wanted to reset router to factory defaults. Fearing that might disrupt the household, I told him I'd look into that. 

5. Said there was nothing more he could do.

This morning I THINK I reset the router... paperclip on the tiny button for 10 seconds or so. No help.

Overall, I was impressed with the tech and thankful for the progress. However, in a practical sense I'm still not getting the promised performance.

I notice that we (in this conversation) were all correct... connectors, setup problems at Spectrum, and need to reset router. Hope you are all still following and can offer more help.  Thanks!

Ed

Rookie

I went through the router factory reset more carefully and that fixed the problem! Now getting 468 Mbps download and 23 Mbps upload.

To reset the modem, with all cables connected and router & cable modum on:

1. Held the tiny reset button with paperclip for a timed 10+ seconds

2. Powered down and restarted the router and cable modem, waiting for all LEDs to be properly on.

3. Reset Windows.

4. Used the Web LinkSys interface to reset the WiFi names & passwords.

Not sure if all the steps were necessary, but it it worked.

Wish I had a way to get back to the Spectrum tech (Jesus in north Orange County, CA) to tell him 'mission accomplished."

Rookie

There were some unnecessary splitters and perhaps some dodgy connectors.
Rookie

The router factory reset was the final coup de grace. Thanks!
Proven Sharer

You too will be regarded as an 'expert' if you remember that any time you change the modem device you MUST ALWAYS reset the router back to factory defaults.  Only then will it accept the new modem's MAC address and link up correctly.