Observer

Signal Issues - Charlotte NC

Hello,

I had my cable boxes swapped out to the enhanced DVR service about two weeks ago. I am a signature home customer and have whole home DVR functionality. My speeds were rock solid 350-360 mbps before they installed the new boxes. Now my speeds are all over the place, ranging from 150-275 on average. Six consecutive tests will yield different results all over the place. It is weird how nothing changed in my setup other than the installation of the enhanced DVR system and filters he installed on my line. A tech came out today and verified that my signal levels were well within spec, however, he noticed the wildy varying speed test results that I have been complaining about. Long story short, he could not fix it and said my customer owned modem is the problem (which they almost always say). However,  my modem upstream levels look out of range. Could this affect my download speeds?

14 REPLIES 14
Expert

Re: Signal Issues - Charlotte NC

The modem is not on the first 2 way splitter and the upstream is at maximum

Describe the splitter arraingement. TWC changed it and that's the issue, not your modem

Helper

Upstream are high. I suspect electrical noise on the line, make sure all the cables are tight, and such. For some reason the CM server is telling the modem to send a stronger signal... maybe to over come electrical noise?

Observer

Will this help you out? Thanks for all the help guys.

EDIT: Forgot to draw in the plug in wall amp that connects directly to the RF/PWR splitter at the PWR position above the To TV and To Amp. All of the other connections are correct. 

Expert

Where are the DVR/ cable box connected? need a better drawing

Observer

The diagram above  represents the connections in my office. The DVR is connected straight to the wall in the main room and the HD box is connected to the wall in my bedroom. They do not have any splitters before connectiing to the back of the boxes. 

Expert

Take a picture of what's in the outside box that the "to amp" line is connected to.

Observer

So they installed their modem and no change at all. Speeds are still pretty much all over the place. All of my signal levels are within spec and this is driving me nuts because they refuse to do anything about it. Here is a picture of the box at the back of the house. Can you see any issues with this? 

Imgur Link

Expert

+Another case of techs not knowing what they're doing... this installation is WRONG!  You have a master DVR and 1 slave boxe correct?  The red banded thing is the moca POE filter and it's in the wrong place, actually that is the wrong amplifier to use for MOCA on the output ports as well.

The modems have to be on the lower right port (output 1) as that's where power thru the power injector is coming from... I assume the green power light is on. 

Observer

You are correct MsRaye. I have one master Enhanced DVR and one slave box in the bedroom. The line marked HR goes straight to my office where the modems are. Four techs have been out over the past few weeks. The last tech said he installed a new grounding block as well and checked everything to make sure it was right. Here is what my setup in the office looks like now. They removed the splitters from the diagram above.