Proven Sharer

Re: Sigh... here we go again... should be getting 30, back to under 6

Please send the signal level page agin so we can view corrected and uncorrectible errors on DS channel 6. Remember, DO NOT restart, reset, or power cycle the modem, that resets all counters and logs to zero . After 3 days we pretty much know there will be a few hundred counts. More than that means problem is not fixed.
Valued Participant

The problem is that they won't come out until it stops working... so I guess I wait.  Also, if breaking and reconnecting outside is a temporary fix, then I'm going to have to deal with them doing that at least 1-2 service trips.

I hate TWC... wish I had another option.

DownstreamBonding Channel Value
Channel ID
Frequency675000000 Hz 657000000 Hz 663000000 Hz 669000000 Hz 681000000 Hz 687000000 Hz 693000000 Hz 699000000 Hz 
Signal to Noise Ratio37 dB 37 dB 37 dB 37 dB 37 dB 29 dB 35 dB 38 dB 
Downstream ModulationQAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
6 dBmV  6 dBmV  6 dBmV  6 dBmV  6 dBmV  6 dBmV  6 dBmV  6 dBmV  

UpstreamBonding Channel Value
Channel ID18 20 17 19 
Frequency24200000 Hz 37000000 Hz 19400000 Hz 30600000 Hz 
Ranging Service ID13031 13031 13031 13031 
Symbol Rate5.120 Msym/sec 2.560 Msym/sec 2.560 Msym/sec 5.120 Msym/sec 
Power Level45 dBmV 47 dBmV 48 dBmV 46 dBmV 
Upstream Modulation[3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM

[3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM

[3] QPSK
[2] 16QAM

[3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM

Ranging StatusSuccess Success Success Success 

Signal Stats (Codewords)Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID
Total Unerrored Codewords25075405010 25075413365 25075421587 25075429661 25075394759 22628120664 25075359631 25075396921 
Total Correctable Codewords107 77 48 73 307 1762438331 37755 1742 
Total Uncorrectable Codewords719 527 517 600 1588 114669045 1797 1787 
Expert

It's to the point of not being intermittent, it has an EASY TO FIND AND MEASURE LOW s/N, the s/n is a constant unuseable 29 dB on that channel.

Anything below 32 is pretty much unuseable.

Since you're measuring speeds below 80% they are supposed to send out a tech

Valued Participant

That's just it... since I broke/reconnected the connections outside, I consistently get 32+ Mbps, even with the low SNR on Channel 6.  Ie., right now SNR is 31db (all others are up at 37), but I have no packet loss (using PingPlotter) and am getting a download speed of 37.1 Mbps and it's been steady for going on a week.

At this point, I'm wasting my time if I call them.  I have to wait for my speed to go in the trash again.

dave

Proven Sharer

You could have the same situation I did, where the leakage was further upstream [between my tap and the CMTS] and was being amplified DS along the trunk route.   Responding to several complaints of intermittent video breakup, TWC replaced about 500 feet of 35 year old 7/8" trunk line feeder about 200 feet upstream of my tap location.  My uncorrecteds suddenly dropped back to single digits right after they spliced in the new stuff. 

The first step has been to identify the most likely cause of your problem.  To do that we relied on the signal quality data from your modem that you posted here.  Don't give up hope that TWC will eventually find the leakage and make repairs.  The search for ingress points is a very long process, and could be coming from connected equipment on customer premisys.  All it takes is one jumper with a bad connector, something the bucket truck guys can't easily track down from the street.

Highlighted
Sharer

Key phrases from your post:

"several complaints"

"relied on signal quality data from modem"

"hope"

"TWC will eventually"

"very long process"

I'm with Dave: they're going to look at the modem's signal (which you rely on) and see that it is good; hence, there is no problem on their end.  Case closed.  This is why I haven't opened a ticket.

The truth is, if maintenance and customer service policies were mission-focused rather than quarter-to-quarter-penny-wise-dollar-dumb-focused, it would take ONE call and ONE maintenance ticket rather than constant hounding and hoping.  If/when that changes (like if/when they get competition), it's simply not worth the hassle.

Valued Participant

Unfortunately, we are at the end of the line -- there is no cable beyond our house.  If no one complains upstream of me (which is what the field guys have always maintained in the past), then I am the lone voice in the wind.

To me, that says that the problem is occuring between me and the next internet customer upstream and limits the area of focus.  To TWC, I am a single person and don't matter that much.  They know I have no other broadband option in this area and am basically stuck... even crap <4Mbps is better than any other option (ie., dialup).

As long as my signal currently holds, there is nothing to contact them about.  I am currently getting advertised speed, even though SNR on Ch6 is at 30db.  Until I am stuck well below advertised speeds, for an extended period of time, all they are going to say is that my speed is as advertised.

I had hoped Charter would bring a change in operating philosophy, but as of yet it's same old, same old.

Expert

look at your neighbors signal level/ s/n on 687 Might help localize where the issue is.

Any friends that are ham radio operators?

They could look for egress on one of the pilot frequencies and that's probably where the ingress is getting in as well.

Sharer

@dasman wrote:

Unfortunately, we are at the end of the line -- there is no cable beyond our house.  If no one complains upstream of me (which is what the field guys have always maintained in the past), then I am the lone voice in the wind.

To me, that says that the problem is occuring between me and the next internet customer upstream and limits the area of focus.  To TWC, I am a single person and don't matter that much.  They know I have no other broadband option in this area and am basically stuck... even crap <4Mbps is better than any other option (ie., dialup).

As long as my signal currently holds, there is nothing to contact them about.  I am currently getting advertised speed, even though SNR on Ch6 is at 30db.  Until I am stuck well below advertised speeds, for an extended period of time, all they are going to say is that my speed is as advertised.

I had hoped Charter would bring a change in operating philosophy, but as of yet it's same old, same old.

So I guess you'll have to wait until something with your connection fails.

Perhaps contact your local squirrel union... Smiley Very Happy

Proven Sharer

Charter DID change the philosophy. now it isout to maximize their investor profits by further deferring needed plant maintenance at the expense of long time TWC customers. But what goes around comes around: As delivered network signal quality degrades further, users will go elsewhere to obtaIn working internet service.