Newcomer

Should I set up a moca network or clone my modem's mac address?

I have my modem and router set up in the middle of the house wired to 1 desktop, but in another room I have 2 more desktops and the wireless connection just isn't cutting it and I can't run an ethernet cable through the floor or walls.   I've read that activating another coax/adding a new modem will be charged as a new line, but that should be solved by cloning the modem's mac. 

If I were to set up a moca network, I'd need an adapter with coax passthrough for the modem and an ethernet in from the router, as well as an ethernet out to antother router/switch on the other end, correct?

Which of these options is cheaper/more likely to work?

2 REPLIES 2
Expert

Re: Should I set up a moca network or clone my modem's mac address?

You can't clone modems, period.

You have to run coax for moca  so why not just run a smaller ethernet cable

Proven Sharer

Re: Should I set up a moca network or clone my modem's mac address?

@diddylibby wrote:

I have my modem and router set up in the middle of the house wired to 1 desktop, but in another room I have 2 more desktops and the wireless connection just isn't cutting it and I can't run an ethernet cable through the floor or walls.   I've read that activating another coax/adding a new modem will be charged as a new line, but that should be solved by cloning the modem's mac. 

If I were to set up a moca network, I'd need an adapter with coax passthrough for the modem and an ethernet in from the router, as well as an ethernet out to antother router/switch on the other end, correct?

Which of these options is cheaper/more likely to work?

No.

I recommend Ethernet Powerline Adapters to extend ethernet via your home's AC/MCLite/NM Power Cable.  If both adapters end up being plugged into receptacles on the same circuit, you should get outstanding performance.