Highlighted
Newcomer

SB6141 for 200mbps download?

Spectrum rated this modem for 100mbps only, but when I run speed test I always get 200+mbps after I just upgraded to 200mpbs internet. Do I need to change the modem? It seems to be working fine. What does "rated" mean anyway?

By the way the spec says it can handle 343 Mbps download.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Sharer

Re: SB6141 for 200mbps download?

Those max speed ratings are based on pristine single user laboratory conditions... not real world scenarios where the line is shared.

Sure, you may still get up to 38mbps bursts on any number of channels... but in reality will likely not be sustaining 38mbps throughput across every channel all the time.

That is pretty much why the modems are placed in specific categories. They are estimating the likely throughput to reasonably expect in the shared system, based on the number of channels and the DOCSIS version supported by the modem.

Remember, these are not dedicated lines. Your coax cable connects to a distribution point with up to 4, 5... 7 other users. All of whom are sharing the bandwidth of a single drop in a time-sliced system. That drop is part of a line that runs down the street and gets broken out and shared to other similar distribution points.

All that fiber optic bandwidth gets partitioned out amongst a LOT of users... as more users request transfer time, the available throughput over a given time for one user has the potential to drop proportional to how much is requested of that line by other users. So long as demand is low, available bandwidth for any one user remains high... as the line gets saturated with additional traffic, potential available bandwidth for any one user declines.
Helper

Re: SB6141 for 200mbps download?

Spectrum usually won't provision a modem for a tier higher than they officially rate it for...but sometimes they will. Yes, the modems are *technically* able to achieve speeds higher than their official tiers, but as raist5150 said that is only in a vacuum under perfect lab conditions.

Your 6141 will work fine but will be the first to suffer under any strain on the network and could possibly effect your neighbors in a negative way. A couple of years ago I was using a 6121 and it was able to get 100 Mbps with no problems as long as I wasn't running an icloud sync or facetime, skype, youtube, netflix, etc. all at the same time.