Rookie

Requesting MsRaye - 50.7mhz channel

Over the years, with random issues, I've lurked the forums hoping for insight and MsRaye often has information for the most unusual situations, and hopefully she has information for my situation as well.

tldr;

The 50.7mhz channel has a lower SNR than the others--why?

I've tried to help nudge Time Warner to correct issues at my parents' house in San Antonio, TX and things kept coming up.  It's hard to get in town when the techs will come out and, understandably, they don't want to replace anything as long as it's "good enough".  I've ended up replacing the wiring, myself, throughout the entire house, with the exception of the grounding block, the new rg11 cable the last tech ran to the house, and the 2way splitter which I'm using as the drop for the modem.  Everything else installed by Time Warner (Paragon in early years, Spectrum in recent months) at various times from about 2001 to present, has been replaced.  Things have been perfect for one week--no issues with tv usage, tv signals, or modem signals.  In the past, within 24 hours, there would be correctables and even uncorrectables on the modem diagnostic page.  Now, the modem and the DVR diagnostic pages show zero problematic packets and it's been a solid week.

I've noticed one thing which was apparent even before I rewired their house--the 50.7mhz channel has a lower SNR than the others, and I can't find information about what this could be caused by or what operates on that frequency.  This is why I hope MsRaye has some insight, so that I can make a note of it and/or take some preemptive measures.  Everything is running well and I'm sure you'll say "that's all looking great", however, because it stood out even before I replaced everything, I'd like to know what the cause could be.  If this could be something farther up the line (the havoc of what a slightly loose but fully functional connection at one home in Seattle could cause, for the whole neighborhood, was incredible), or if it's something like an amateur radio typically used in another country but someone in their neighborhood is a licensed operator or something, I'd be appreciative to hear whatever information you can share.  Thank you, MsRaye.

Before rewiring their house (a few days of uptime):

http://imgur.com/a/cwkf1

After rewiring their house (one week of uptime):

http://imgur.com/a/9ax4P

And, a second question I have--is it normal for the upstream power levels to fluctuate so much?  I've been watching regularly and it seems to fluctuate between about 38 and 46 over time (Ubee DVW32CB).  The line goes from the modem, to the 2way splitter, to the grounding block, to the pole.  Does the 6183 or 6190 fluctuate like this as well?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Requesting MsRaye - 50.7mhz channel

495 is worst, you have a bad shield somewhere allowing in local TV channells 18 and 20

758UAeY

Expert

the after signals were too soon after the reset, I'll bet you show correctables and uncorrectables.

Those are mostlikely due to an outside the house issue from the grounding block to pole tapoff or all the way to the HFC conversion point

Rookie

Gotcha, thanks.  It seems better so far since, usually within 24 hours of a reset, there would be some correctables/uncorrectables, but I'll  continue to keep an eye on it.  Maybe my standards are too high since, in Austin, I could go well over a month with zero correctables and uncorrectables--both columns are zero.  I only do about 200-300gigs of throughput monthly, but I have a couple of voip servers running that see regular use throughout the day so I figure that covers a broad time range.  Is that clean of a connection the exception rather than the rule?

As for 495, is it safe to say that I eliminated the interference or is it still too soon to tell?  And for 507, is one which you think may be beyond my control?

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Proven Sharer

I would suggest you not mention again having VoIP servers on your connection.  TWC says that servers are not allowed for residential users, only for Business Class customers.  TWC employee moderators do monitor postings in the forums.

Observer

Running servers fully complies with the AUP, regardless of what they are:

https://help.twcable.com/twc_misp_aup.html

I would suggest that you not recite hearsay; I would also suggest that you cite your sources.

Expert

right here:

Our residential Services are provided to you for your reasonable, personal, non-commercial use only. The Services cannot be used for any enterprise purpose whatsoever whether or not the enterprise is directed toward making a profit. If it is your intention to use any of our Services for these purposes, please contact TWC to inquire whether we offer commercial services meeting your needs.

High Speed Data Acceptable Use Policy

Time Warner Cable seeks to create and foster an on-line community that can be used and enjoyed by all its High Speed Data Service customers. Please assist us by observing the following guidelines:

•    The High Speed Data Service may not be used to engage in any conduct that interferes with TWC's ability to provide service to others, including the use of excessive bandwidth.

Observer

Perfect, that's exactly what we needed, confirmation from MsRaye--so it's all good to go!

Proven Sharer

Now that you've had the source quoted back to you directly from the TWC AUP link that you posted, you're no longer able to refer to it as hearsay.  The issue would be provision of a voice service to others via the VoIP servers that you stated you operate, which conflicts with the clearly stated restriction "for your reasonable, personal, non-commercial use only. The Services cannot be used for any enterprise purpose whatsoever whether or not the enterprise is directed toward making a profit."

Observer

I had two huge chunks of text which I edited and added to a couple of times.  I give up, you're not equipped to understand.  You win, gold star for you, karlbeckman.  Please go somewhere else and tell others the wrong thing.