Rookie

Remotely re-booting a router

While away from my property, when my Spectrum modem re-boots, at times my router does not and therefore all wi-fi connected devices are offline.  I am considering trading in the supplied modem for a Spectrum combo so tech support can perform a reboot, both modem and router, without having me at the site.  Normally I don't like combos but this solution seems to be the only one available.  Any thoughts/suggestions?  Also who makes their combo so I can check out the specs?

Jimbo46

8 REPLIES 8
Helper

Re: Remotely re-booting a router

I assume you're using a non-Spectrum router? Spectrum has largely gotten away from modem/router combo units but there are still many out there, mostly made by Arris (1672 is one that comes to mind).

I have a separate modem and router, both from Spectrum, and have the ability to refresh the status of either device from the My Account page. I've never tested it on the router though to see if it actually reboots the device but I would think it does.

Proven Sharer

@JIMBO46 wrote:

While away from my property, when my Spectrum modem re-boots, at times my router does not and therefore all wi-fi connected devices are offline.  I am considering trading in the supplied modem for a Spectrum combo so tech support can perform a reboot, both modem and router, without having me at the site.  Normally I don't like combos but this solution seems to be the only one available.  Any thoughts/suggestions?  Also who makes their combo so I can check out the specs?

Jimbo46

What about installing a re-booter?  It's basically a "vacation" timer that cuts power for two minutes a day...  It is sure to reboot everything at least once every 24-hours:

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Restarter-Digital-Outlet-Timer/dp/B01C66X6GU/

Rookie

Thanks for your input I will look at separate boxes but both from Spectrum. Great idea if they can reboot both remotely.
Rookie

Haven’t heard of that but great suggestion. I really want to get the ball in their tech support court so they can perform the check and reboot if necessary. Thanks
Proven Sharer

@JIMBO46 wrote:
Haven’t heard of that but great suggestion. I really want to get the ball in their tech support court so they can perform the check and reboot if necessary. Thanks

While they might be able to "help" you if you get a combo unit, they will most certainly charge you the $5 monthly "Wi-Fi" fee for maintaining your router... 

Sharer

Can look through the administrative/system pages of the router config for the remote/external access options. This is to allow you access to the router config from an outside address. Be mindful you would need to know your home's public IP address for connecting to it, and you will also want STRONG security--perhaps even restricting it to allowing only a specific external IP address (like, your work's public IP address). You can look up that address by going to a site like myip.ms or something like the TCP Analyzer at speedguide.net.

Be aware also that in order to access/reboot the router remotely, it also needs to be getting back online after the modem reboots. If for some reason it is not properly establishing communication with the modem, then it may call for someome to physically power cycle it, or at least disconnect/reconnect the uplink network cable.
Rookie

Thanks and that is my exact problem. When the modem reboots for whatever reason, sometimes the router does not. When it doesn’t, it has to be reset by unplugging it which requires on site presence. So I’m looking for a solution that allows Spectrum to do it, maybe it’s a combo or a Spectrum two box solution which is the way I’m leaning now. Thanks for your thoughts but I think your fix may be beyond my system administrator even.
Sharer

hmm... on second thought... may be better to focus on why your modem is rebooting?

Just seems odd... barring things like power outage, outright loss of signal, or them pushing a firmware or other changes that would call for a reboot... it really should not just be bouncing on you. Pretty much, it should be persistently up and running for you until you need to reboot it to address something. Some modems will note hours of uptime, and have literally seen them display MONTHS of uptime in their logs.

If you are suffering power issues, may be worth investing in a "cheap" UPS for your network hardware to run on (modem and router). If it is a signaling issue leading to slowdowns, the modem having to rethink channels, etc... may be time for a tech to come inspect your lines and such.