Highlighted
Browser

Rate Card shows 200 Mbps for $69.99 when I put my address in, but unable to get it?

Is it normal to see standard internet plans on the rate card and then be told by customer service they aren't offered in my area (even though I put my address in)?

I am paying $69.99 for 100Mbps, but see I should be able to get 200 Mbps for the same price...  I tried, but got told I can't. 

Does seeing multiple speeds at the same price just mean it is coming to my area and I'll automatically be switched over soon?

SPECTRUM STANDARD SERVICE OFFERINGS (MONTH-TO-MONTH PLAN) * 
Spectrum Internet 50/5 with WiFi$74.99
Spectrum Internet 50/5$69.99

Spectrum Internet 100/10

$69.99
Spectrum Internet 100/10 with WiFi$74.99

Spectrum Internet 200/10

$69.99
Spectrum Internet 200/10 with WiFi$74.99

Spectrum Internet Ultra 400/20

$94.99

Spectrum Internet Assist 30/4 **

$17.99
Spectrum Internet Assist 30/4 with WiFi **$22.99

Spectrum Internet Gig

$129.99
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: Rate Card shows 200 Mbps for $69.99 when I put my address in, but unable to get it?

Correct... slated for the upgrade, but not rolled out for your neighborhood yet. When upgrades take place, you will get the bump.

Been seeing that in my market this year... some sections of town are already "upgraded", but still take a slight hit on throughput during peak usage times.

On the upside though, those of us still on the 100mbps provisioning with at least 16 channel modems are holding steady just over 100 with the occasional high speed bursts from the buffers.

Kinda weird when you watch a big download in real time... registers up to a 200-300mbit burst and then starts tapering off to around the 105-120 mark. So you can see the potential is there, just not stable enough for a wide scale rollout yet.

Went through a similar phase from the 60 to 100 upgrades.
Highlighted
Browser

Re: Rate Card shows 200 Mbps for $69.99 when I put my address in, but unable to get it?

Interesting.  I would say the potential is already there as they offered me 400 Mbps last night...

Must be some technical reason I don't know about...   I'm really confused about it being a rollout issue though if they can give me 400 Mbps over the phone, they can sure as heck honor their own rate card and give me 200 Mbps for $69.99 or am I missing something?

Highlighted
Established Sharer

The plans are "up to", with different minimum expectations.

For instance, targets may be 60-100, 100-200, 100-400. The 400 tier is not guaranteed to provide 400mbps 24/7, just up to 400 on the high side.

Essentially what you are paying for is a lifting of the min/max restrictions on your throughput metering scheme.

On their 3.0 spec side there will be anywhere from 24 to 32 viable channels available (a couple channels may be too noisy in some markets) with up to about 38mbps available bandwidth per channel.

That is it. No more bandwidth made available on the local cable... which gets shared by everyone at that distribution point.

Everyone gets allotted time slots for transmission to meter out the overall throughput (38mbps x 4 channels makes about 150mbps available bandwidth, 8 offers about 300, etc. ) So long as the neighborhood isn't oversold, things can run smoothly without a lot of queued buffering/ bursting going on. Once a neighborhood reaches a certain saturation point, infrastructure has to be tweaked to build out more bandwidth to that neighborhood (new coax may need to be run and such) to make sure the minimum expected bandwidth remains available without a lot of stalling/buffering/bursting cycles.
Highlighted
Browser

Makes sense.  Thanks!