Observer

Random disconnects similar times each day

Hi all, I'm getting random disconnects once a day between 9AM-noon every day pretty much, the modem will just lose all its lights except power,  and I'll lose connection until it reconnects. If it happens early, it can happen multiple times in that time period, but outside its usually stable.

I'm not sure how the coax wiring looks outside my apartment, but from inside, I get the coax in from the window, which then goes into a splitter with one cable going to the cable box, and the other to the modem.

I'm not really sure what triggered this to start happening, everything used to be great before, just randomly started happening ~1-1.5 months ago.

Located in NYC, in an apartment building, I get TV+Internet 200+Phone, but I use my own modem and don't have anything connected for the phone sevice. Just got a brand new SB6190 to replace my 6183 and the problem is still occuring, so I know it's not the modem. 

I've ran a speedtest and I get pretty close to advertised speeds, 8ms ping, 155Mbps down and 16.3 up.  I've called support multiple times who say everything looks good on their end over and over, so I'm not really sure what to do next.

This is what I get in the logs after a disconnect:

Any help at all would be much appreciated, thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Expert

Re: Random disconnects similar times each day

You are in NYC and having the typical 300 mHz ingress issue, we believe from aircraft ILS.

Get TWC out to replace cable and corroded connectors for a start.

Highlighted
Observer

What do I tell them to get them to come out? I've called them at least 6-7 times they always claim they can't send anyone out because "everything looks fine on their end". And asking them to put a note in my account also does nothing.

Expert

Tell them you are getting multiple RCS partial service errors and both correctables and uncorrectables are out of spec.

Raw dB signal levels are fine , it's all they're looking at, not the interference causing channel loss and errors.

Modems can deal well with correctables, but uncorrectables require complete packet replacement all the way from your modem to the host and that many are unacceptable. Something is corroded, loose, maladjusted, installed wrong or there's a bunch of open splitter ports allowing noise and ingress to corrupt the QAM modulation on the coaxial side of the cable. Apt buildings are horrible