Participant

Question on speeds.......getting new router

I'm getting a new ASUS USB-AC68 Dual-band AC1900 USB 3.0 Wifi Adapter  and new router LINKSYS EA7300 MAX-STREAM™ AC1750 MU-MIMO GIGABIT WI-FI ROUTER......Wireless speeds up to 1700 Mbps........up to 1300 Mbps for 5 GHz........up to 450 Mbps for 2.4 GHz/5 GHz.

Now my question is the speeds Spectrum has.  If I'm understanding it right, the highest speed is  50Mbps, I have the 20MBPs now so even with the new equipment I won't get any faster speeds?  

10 REPLIES 10
Expert

Re: Question on speeds.......getting new router

Why are you wasting your money?

Your speeds are limited by what you're paying for.

Contributor

No, you're not going to get any faster than what Spectrum provisioned you for.  Think of it in term of water purchased from city, if you're to get 5 gallons per minute, then no matter how large the water pipe, you'd only get 5 gpm.

Established Sharer

@debgram wrote:

I'm getting a new ASUS USB-AC68 Dual-band AC1900 USB 3.0 Wifi Adapter  and new router LINKSYS EA7300 MAX-STREAM™ AC1750 MU-MIMO GIGABIT WI-FI ROUTER......Wireless speeds up to 1700 Mbps........up to 1300 Mbps for 5 GHz........up to 450 Mbps for 2.4 GHz/5 GHz.

=========

Those speeds are for marketing purposes ONLY, and are NOT what you'll ever get in the real world.

Participant

Ok I see that now.  I do need to upgrade my router it's like 6+ years old already.  When the new adapter comes in I'll return that one and for the same price I can get a different router and network adapter.  

Linksys Wireless N750 Dual-Band Router 

Linksys AE3000 IEEE 802.11n USB WiFi Adapter 

I did notice that the other internet providers don't offer much over 100Mbps.  Why don't they offer higher?  

Expert

Speeds over 100 meg?

Because they can't afford the infrastructure to do so and there is really no need for more than 10 megs per device. higher speeds = eratic packet transfers

Participant

okay then why do these companies make routers and network adapters handling those high speeds?  People buy these products and claim their speeds are better.  I do research before I buy anything and the internet speed stuff has me a bit confused.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

And the marketing departments of those device manufacturers are very happy that you don't understand that your router doesn't need to be able to handle multiple gigabits of data sent between your various devices when the speed of your internet connection itself is less than 100 Mbps.  Faster isn't always better!

Participant

I have Spectrum formally Time-Warner, I was paying  59.99 for basic internet, when Spectrum took over they gave  you another 5 gigs so I was getting 20 gig for $60.00.  I was looking on Spectrum website and was able to change to 60 gigs for $64.99.  I didn't have to change email which I figured they shoudn't.  They also have a 100 gigs for 104.99.  Using the 60 gigs now and wow it is way better.  After doing research on all those routers and their claimed speed, I can't imagine a 1300 gig internet speed, it seems to unreal.

You guys opened my eyes to look further into this, thanks for all your help.

Expert

Only reason is for people running a network drive or to copy everything from one machine to another.

But, even then, I've tried to copy using USB3 and found the limiting factors were the drives and processors themselves and not the USB3 link.

USB3 is 200 megs or so