Observer

Re: Poor Quality Internet still after 2 visits from Techs

OK, thanks again!  I will test it for a couple days streaming and gaming to see if quality is a bit more stable.  Will also look into business class.

The wall plate definetly has compression fittings.  Do you think it will help or make any difference if I purchase a new wire to run from the modem to the splitter, bypassing the wall plate or is it more an issue outside of my home?

Expert

This probably along the streets that the coaxial hardline you're fed from

and an overrloaded node or server at the head end.

Cable was designed 40 years before data was put on it and it just doesn't perform as well as fiber at todays speeds/

Could be worst, I've got customers in downtown Cleveland that Uverse has told them the fastest service they can get is 6/.6 adsl...

this is  14 blocks from the AT&T center...

All old, crappy telco wire they won't replace.

Observer

Yeah, that's what I figured the problem is something outside my house and equipment.  Yeah, it could definitely be worse but it's just sad I can't get better quality.  Just going to play the waiting game for fiber, I'm right between 2 fiber providers so hoping one will make it here, but doubtful due to being more rural area.  Hopefully switching to the 2 way splitter will give some improvement.

Thanks again for all your help!

Proven Sharer

@Lynch wrote:

Yeah, that's what I figured the problem is something outside my house and equipment.  Yeah, it could definitely be worse but it's just sad I can't get better quality.  Just going to play the waiting game for fiber, I'm right between 2 fiber providers so hoping one will make it here, but doubtful due to being more rural area.  Hopefully switching to the 2 way splitter will give some improvement.

Thanks again for all your help!

I think you've done everything that YOU can do.  As the tech told you earlier, "I am not going to knock on your neighbor's doors and check their cables / noise levels" pretty much tells you they will need an act of god (or complaints form those neightbors, too as well) to tackle the problem.

My parents have Optimum, and Optimum came to THEM to say, "We need to check inside your house, because based upon what is outside your house, we are certain you have bad connections."  And sure enough, they needed to install compression fittings on cables that haven't seen daylight since 1983...

Observer

Yeah I've heard of companies doing that.  Actually, I've heard of Comcast, TWC, or spectrum (forgot which one it was) doing this for a friend.  They were able to identify where the problem originates and notify the customer to get the issue resolved.  I did not expect the tech to knock on doors but there has got to be a way to track down the offending source.

I'm still tempted to upgrade to faster speeds because that 10mb upload will be so nice for live streaming, but if there is poor quality and $200 install fee, there is no way.  Plus it cost $100 a month for the internet alone, then throw phone and TV on top of that.  My spectrum TV app isn't even working on my Roku.  Premium pricing for poor quality of service.  Fix the connection issues and waive the install fee, and I might consider giving them my money.

Thanks for your assistance as well!  It's nice being able to troubleshoot issues with help here since Spectrum isn't taking any further action.