Spectator

Ping timeout throughout the day

I am in 90247 area, this looks very bad for a modem after 2 hours of up time right?

I had a service tech came in last week and he said he was seeing a lot of noises with the machine he had on the existing cable in the apartment, so he went outside and connected a new cable from the spectrum box to my room. I believe it's a new cable directly from along with the power lines and there aren't any splitters as far as I can see.

It was fine for that afternoon, then I started seeing some timeouts, approximately 0.09% for the 12 hours I have my pc running ping test to 8.8.8.8 on the first day, then 0.5%, and got worse as days go by, finally I had enough because those small timeouts kept on disconnecting me from my remote work vpn.

I was using zoom 5341j for the modem, I thought it was because of the modem problem, since there was some Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV in the error log, I thought that could be it, so I went to the the spectrum store and got a modem from them, arris 1602, but the same issues remain. Also had some higher pings every 10 seconds or so, it would go like 10ms, 10ms.. then 1xx then back to 10 and repeat.

model.PNG

I called and will have the tech come in again tomorrow.

Judging from the error logs and the uncorrectable counts, there must be something wrong with the cable right? Since both modems have the same issues.

When the tech comes in tomorrow, is there anything I should have him checked other than the cables?

Capture.PNGlog.PNG

rt.PNG

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Proven Sharer

Re: Ping timeout throughout the day

@ycch777wrote:

I am in 90247 area, this looks very bad for a modem after 2 hours of up time right?

I had a service tech came in last week and he said he was seeing a lot of noises with the machine he had on the existing cable in the apartment, so he went outside and connected a new cable from the spectrum box to my room. I believe it's a new cable directly from along with the power lines and there aren't any splitters as far as I can see.

It was fine for that afternoon, then I started seeing some timeouts, approximately 0.09% for the 12 hours I have my pc running ping test to 8.8.8.8 on the first day, then 0.5%, and got worse as days go by, finally I had enough because those small timeouts kept on disconnecting me from my remote work vpn.

I was using zoom 5341j for the modem, I thought it was because of the modem problem, since there was some Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV in the error log, I thought that could be it, so I went to the the spectrum store and got a modem from them, arris 1602, but the same issues remain. Also had some higher pings every 10 seconds or so, it would go like 10ms, 10ms.. then 1xx then back to 10 and repeat.

model.PNG

I called and will have the tech come in again tomorrow.

Judging from the error logs and the uncorrectable counts, there must be something wrong with the cable right? Since both modems have the same issues.

When the tech comes in tomorrow, is there anything I should have him checked other than the cables?

Thanks.

Yes, you are right that the problem must be the cable,not the modem, so switching modems won't make things work any better.  But here's a question you should ask:  If you don't have Spectrum telephone service, why are they renting you an Arris 1602 300 Mbps unit to replace your old 100 Mbps Zoom modem 5341J?? 

Spectator

My internet speed is only for 100 Mbps.

The zoom modem is mine, I bought it from other places.

I only went to the store and asked for the free modem that I could get when first signing up for the internet service, and the arris one is what they gave me.

Thanks.

Proven Sharer

@ycch777wrote:

My internet speed is only for 100 Mbps.

The zoom modem is mine, I bought it from other places.

I only went to the store and asked for the free modem that I could get when first signing up for the internet service, and the arris one is what they gave me.

Thanks.

I also use the Zoom 5341J here and have found it to be a good performer up to 100 Mbps with Spectrum's new and locally dynamic channel plans.  We're still in the middle of the switch to all encrypted digital TV channels. 

So, you apparently switched your 100/10 internet service from legacy TW to Spectrum and now have the free modem that Spectrum includes with their internet package.  I pretty much suspected that and wanted to confirm. 

All ethernet VPN  circuits are designed to disconnect on any uncorrectible bit errors, so you need to ensure that every coaxial connector inside your home is clean and tight, not letting any outside signals into the cable.  It's important to remember that Spectrum doesn't guarantee an error-free environment, they only guarantee the speed of your data across their transport network.  The modem does generate a signal level report that tallies both correctable and uncorrectible errors detected on each DS channel.  If you see  a high number of errors on a few channels, that information can help point the service techs in the right direction to get your service fixed. 

Highlighted
Spectator

I never had TWC before, new to this area and it was already spectrum.
The tech came in today and did some inspections, my modem, cable to the modem, and even the pole outside were all fine. But he said there is another tech looking into a intermittent timeout issues for other people in the neighborhood. Apparently I wasn't the only one affected.
Hopefully they will find out what's wrong and fix it soon.
Lead Moderator

I'm glad to hear we are looking into this further. Please do come back and let us

know how it went!

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Spectator

The tech said they were looking into this, but I don't know how I can get the updates from them. 

I am still seeing the same issue since the tech visit, and sometimes the modem upstream power would go pretty high and then just reboots itself multiple times a day.

I did ask when/if it's going to get fixed, but I didn't get a definite answer, so it can take days, weeks or months. Luckily I still have other options if I can't take it anymore.

Lead Moderator

We can certainly check in on this. If the maintenance ticket is scheduled for your 

account specifically and not just turned into maintenance as a general 

ticket for the area we can see if there is a scheduled date. 

Please feel free to contact us directly at  Forums_Help

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums