Spectator

Re: Ping spikes and packet loss while gaming


@MsRaye wrote:

That pos doesn't report correcteds so It's hard to diagnose problems, see if you can trade it for a non technicolor modem

 


I traded in the Technicolor for a Ubee DVW32CB. Seems to have roughly the same barebones interface. There again is simply a WMM option in the wireless tab that comes enables by default. Is is possible this would cause in inconsistent connection on my xbox as priority is given to streaming content? In the "Web Content filter" tab there is also an option for "Optimize for XBOX (may stabilize video streaming)." Not sure if enabling would help gaming either.

 

I couldn't find an error log -- there is an event log under telephony, but it is empty. The modem did restart itself once today, but otherwise has been fine.

 

Here are the signal levels.

 

 

Downstream Bonded Channels Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables

1 QAM256 555000000 Hz-5.1 dBmV40.8 dB00
2 QAM256 507000000 Hz-4.2 dBmV40.6 dB00
3 QAM256 513000000 Hz-4.5 dBmV41.9 dB00
4 QAM256 519000000 Hz-4.6 dBmV41.7 dB00
5 QAM256 525000000 Hz-4.8 dBmV41.6 dB00
6 QAM256 531000000 Hz-4.9 dBmV41.5 dB00
7 QAM256 537000000 Hz-5.1 dBmV41.2 dB00
8 QAM256 543000000 Hz-5.1 dBmV41.3 dB00
9 QAM256 549000000 Hz-4.9 dBmV41.4 dB00
10 QAM256 501000000 Hz-3.8 dBmV42.6 dB00
11 QAM256 561000000 Hz-5.2 dBmV40.9 dB00
12 QAM256 567000000 Hz-5.4 dBmV40.6 dB00
13 QAM256 573000000 Hz-5.4 dBmV40.6 dB00
14 QAM256 579000000 Hz-5.8 dBmV40.3 dB00
15 QAM256 585000000 Hz-5.9 dBmV40.2 dB00
16 QAM256 591000000 Hz-6.0 dBmV40.2 dB00

 

Total Correctables Total Uncorrectables

00



Upstream Bonded Channels Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power

1 ATDMA 2560 Ksym/sec37000000 Hz44.8 dBmV
2 ATDMA 5120 Ksym/sec24200000 Hz41.8 dBmV
3 ATDMA 5120 Ksym/sec30600000 Hz44.5 dBmV
4 TDMA 2560 Ksym/sec19400000 Hz40.0 dBmV

 

 

 

Expert

Re: Ping spikes and packet loss while gaming

error log= event log

 

Try this one and see if it fixes the gaming...

 

Spectator

Re: Ping spikes and packet loss while gaming


MsRaye wrote:

error log= event log

 

Try this one and see if it fixes the gaming...

 



 

 

Gaming is no better unfortunately. One thing I've noticed is if I run the connection test through the xbox, I get wildly different results from one test to the next -- 300 Mbps to 50, back to 125, down to 75 all in quick sucession. I'm trying to run these early in the morning when there is no one else using the network. I noticed similar behavior with the previous modem. 

 

I've also seen some discussion around double-NAT issues that occur if your public IP doesn't match your WAN-IP, which also appears to be the case.

Expert

Re: Ping spikes and packet loss while gaming

Do you see the same speed issue with a different computer and no others connected?

 

Spectator

Re: Ping spikes and packet loss while gaming


@MsRaye wrote:

Do you see the same speed issue with a different computer and no others connected?

 


I won't be able to test with no devices connected until late this evening or early tomorrow, but when i run the test on different devices during the day, the variance is much smaller -- 10 to 25 Mbps.

 

Also, even with the new modem, I continue to have an issue with the modem rebooting itself, though there are still no messages in the event log (which is presumably cleared out on reboot?)

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Ping spikes and packet loss while gaming


@toggleon wrote:

@MsRaye wrote:

Do you see the same speed issue with a different computer and no others connected?

 


I won't be able to test with no devices connected until late this evening or early tomorrow, but when i run the test on different devices during the day, the variance is much smaller -- 10 to 25 Mbps.

 

Also, even with the new modem, I continue to have an issue with the modem rebooting itself, though there are still no messages in the event log (which is presumably cleared out on reboot?)


Yeah that makes it tough. I'm not TWC and can't access the CMTS to look at the connection better.