Expert

Re: Ping instability to the first gateway - 4 truck rolls so far

Still need to see the signal page and tracert  off of either modem, but prefferably the first one..... It's not a modem issue but changing modems temporarily fixes it.  need to compare the tracert's between the 2

I am preparing this with screenshots. What server would you like me to traceroute to? Have any specific servers to ping other than the CMTS?
I have been using SSH to a server I have at a friends house locally to get a baseline. It is on Northstate residential line. That location is physically a mile away from me but the route between us seems to go all the way to Miami, we are in NC.

I don't understand why you would expect the signal levels or traceroute to be different after a modem change, but here we go. cm600levels.jpgTM1602levels.jpgCM600tracertToNS.jpgTM1602tracertToNS.jpg

CM600 ping to CMTS :

cm600pingCMTS.jpg

TM1602 ping to CMTS:

TM1602pingCMTS.jpg

CM600 ping to Northstate server I selected for this test:

CM600pingToNS.jpg

TM1602 to that same Northstate server:

TM1602pingToNS.jpg

For comparison, I ran a test from a server I have at a friend's house a mile away from me with a residential Northstate connection. I have SSH access to a server there. I ran a traceroute from there to me and chose a Level3 server right in the middle. I am in the northern part of North Carolina and his ping test to this server in Atlanta is more stable than my ping is to my own CMTS, even with the CM600 modem.

"lag-119.ear1.Atlanta2.Level3.net (4.35.198.5)"

NorthstatePingToL3.jpg

Thanks for the assistance. I'm so very frustrated with Spectrum. All these tests have been run wired directly to the cable modem, for testing.

There seems to be a problem with my CMTS that is excacerbated by the Puma 6 flaw. Do you agree?

After having the TM1602 back up for a few hours, the count for "corrected" has gone up. I'm not sure if this is relevant, because DOCSIS is not my forte. I can tell you that the CM600 was running for 2 days without this issue, and the TM1602 has the issue anytime I've checked.

TM1602levels-new.jpg

Left the TM1602 connected overnight to reverse this test. Also, I was waiting to see if there were any suggestions. Before I disconnected it, there were still no "Uncorrected". 

This is the TM1602 ping to CMTS today (it wont let me upload the screenshots today):

Ping statistics for 75.177.64.1:
Packets: Sent = 121, Received = 121, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 171ms, Average = 22ms

CM600 today:

Ping statistics for 75.177.64.1:
Packets: Sent = 121, Received = 121, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 43ms, Average = 12ms

Expert

You are having coaxial issues....

Good luck if they really replaced everything.. Post a photo of the outside grounding block and the street tap off.

Highlighted

I'm not totally sure they have it grounded at my house anymore. They took out the splitter. 

I will take pics. I don't doubt you and I appreciate your help. Why would it be so much worse with the TM1602? 

The ground was very sloppy after 4 tech visits. There is one copper wire from my power meter to a grounding post. The block that terminates it to the post was VERY loose. I cleaned and tightened it. The cable is jumped to that line with a block, both wires were oxidized so i cleaned them and reconnected. It didn't improve my issue but it does express how sloppy the 4 techs were. 

Previous techs have literally left the cover off my tap before, I had to walk out and put it on. The most recent guy locked it up tight so I can't give you any photos. It's a green post the size of a fire hydrant.

Where do I go from here? Just keep getting truck rolls? I'll just show the next technician this thread. Is there anything the tech could could be told about this situation that would convice them it's a coax problem?

Thanks.