Valued Participant

Ping Spikes

After trading in my first modem for a different kind. I am still having issues. After doing research I now believe it is due to the upstream power level being far to high.  I am going post a picture to see what everyone thinks. And I am wondering if I should contact Time Warner Cable again. http://imgur.com/a/WXR44 Also here is my error log. http://imgur.com/a/zV8nv I am also hardwired.

9 REPLIES 9
Proven Sharer

Re: Ping Spikes

@countrygirl69 wrote:

After trading in my first modem for a different kind. I am still having issues. After doing research I now believe it is due to the upstream power level being far to high.  I am going post a picture to see what everyone thinks. And I am wondering if I should contact Time Warner Cable again. http://imgur.com/a/WXR44 Also here is my error log. http://imgur.com/a/zV8nv I am also hardwired.

It would be helpful to have your ZIP code so we can look at network conditions near your location, and also tell us what internet speed you are paying for.  Your downstream signal levels are OK, but as you suspected, upstream is definitely maxed out.  When you called TWC before about this problem, did they happen to tell you how many channels are being used for internet service in your area?  Their answer could be 8, 12, 16, or more.

Your modem is only seeing 8 right now and every one of them is receiving interference from some outside source.   It could be a broken cable, a loose or broken connector, loose grounding block, or something wrong in the main line cable itself.   The more information you can provide to us, the closer we can point the service technician to get you up and running again.

Everyone's Tags (2)
Highlighted
Valued Participant

State Ny Zip Code 14810. I Pay for 15 Down 1 Up. I normally get it now. My first complaint was due to internet outages poor speeds. I would wake up to like 200kbps speedtests and 1000+ping. Anyhow I went to the office they gave me a different modem. Now my Download is pretty solid for the most part. It does have it times. Speedtest just show huge jumps in there graph though.

My main issue now is ping. It can work good for 10mins at like 100 in a game i play. Then all of a sudden its 999+ and i randomly get kicked. I have noticed speedtest.net shows a wide change every scan. I seen 14 to the twc server before and I seen over 1000 when its acting up. It is all over the place at times. I can be the only device online with nothing using bandwith and get these spikes. As far as I know all the channels appear. max speed here is 50/5 last i checked.

When I had the internet installed here the tech ran a new line from pole to my trailer. then took out the old cord from my living room and put a new one in. Maybe one of the new cords are messed up. Maybe something in the TWC gray box on the trailer or even something on the pole. I only have internet. So I wouldnt think that the tech would have hooked to a splitter anywhere. Considering he ran new cords.  My Modem is a Ubee DDM3541 software version 3.37.1004

Expert

TWC needs to come out and fix this, poor upstream with a lot of downstream noise is usually corroded connectors/ damaged coax. I'll bet there's an interneyt only filter outside as well, those are notorious for sucking in water.

Throwing modems at a coaxial issue is pointless

Valued Participant

A twc guy came down and climbed the pole. Guess he added a different grounding block and hooked it up in a different spot changed the connectors ect yesterday. It worked good yesterday upstream was at 42 42 43 43 or something Here we are the next day.  http://imgur.com/a/aKc7f Hopefully they drop back down by tonight. Anyways have anyone here tried PCT Signal amps with active return? It is starting to look like I will have no choice to buy some type of amp. $70 for arris is far to much.

Valued Participant

http://imgur.com/a/Cjc2t notice my Total correctables has doubled within 20mins and looks to be  climbing still.

Spectrum Employee

You should not go an buy any residential amplifiers when we will install good quality ones as part of doing the job.  I don't want to throw certain brands under the bus when I've got an "employee" title, but suffice to say one can make matters much worse with a cheap amp.  We supply & install or repair with 8+1 port and 4+1 port VoIP compatible unity gain amps these days, pretty much in every market area now to the best of my knowledge.

The issue in your case appears to be upstream issue that may be in fact a utility tap issue (aka. a maintenance tech problem that needs to be solved because it's likely between the tap & the node).

So I would start with trying to reach back to the tech you had out to see if we can get a follow-up.  In order to refer to maintenance, measurement for the paperwork (well, digital forms to be filled out) has to be done then & there and referred/escalated onward.  If you can't get the tech who "climbed the pole" back out, then unfortunately it's going to be looking like a repeat for "intermittently too high return/upstream signal levels" (would be ideal to have this notated on the workorder itself), and you'll have to call it in an schedule something.  I made this topic to help everyone with general guidelines when it comes to signal levels.

It's not likely the modem (least likely root cause), it's most likely a tap issue (since I see the same pattern with your adjacent/immediate neighbors too) that will have to go to your local hub's maintenance tech team.   And we still should be checking for ingress and making sure the coax splitter configuration is optimized with no bad fittings/connectors.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Expert

Call them back out. Unless you have more than 2 coaxial devices, you don't need a bidirectional amp.

Sharer

Trying to "fix" your stuff when TWC needs to fix theirs is only going to waste time and money.  Your signals are bad coming in; nothing you do in-house will change that.  They need to fix their stuff.  You should be getting a reliable in-spec signal with minimal-to-zero errors.  

Until then, just make sure your stuff is in order without trying to compensate for TWC's negligence:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Cable-modem-and-wiring-checklist/m-p/50745#U50745

Proven Sharer

First let TWC get things fixed to such a point that they can demonstrate that their modem+router delivers the speed to which you subscribe for at least a week straight with zero dropouts or resets.  Then decide whether you'd rather pay them $10 per month to rent that modem+router or skip that and replace it with one you will purchase on your own. 

The worst possible approach is for both sides to be making random hardware changes withhout coordinating them, testing, and documenting the results at every intermediate step along the way.