Valued Participant

Peak Daily Usage in Mbps

Hi 

Does anyone know if TWC can tell me what my peak usage is in Mbps?

I am paying for 300Mbps service and testing the bandwidth indicates that

I am getting that using the TWC Internet testing tool (and Ookla), but I want to know

how much of that I actually use even though it's there.  I have 3 Rokus instead of STBs

and 2-3 laptops at any given time and just like knowing if I am getting close to maxing

my bandwidth.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Proven Sharer

Re: Peak Daily Usage in Mbps

Your wireless router probably can show that information. Many of them will also let you set a maximum throughput value, so you can set it down to 100 MBps and see if you could save money every month without creating video streaming quality issues.

Expert

you only need 10-15 mb per streaming video device

So with 5 devices 100 meg service s/b plenty

If somethings running cloud or one drive it can hoard all the bandwidth, you need to slap a 50% qos restriction on it

Gaming on 200- 300 is problematic, the DS data will come thru in erratic bursts which throw off latency calibrations.

Valued Participant

Thank you MsRaye! I have 300Mbps service and working from home, I have OneDrive, Amazon Cloud and Google Drive all launching on my work laptop. Maybe I need to turn that beast off at night. Cat Happy

Valued Participant

Thank you karlbeckman - I didn't think to look there (Duh Man Happy ). Between the cloud stuff MsRaye mentioned and your suggestion I should be able to determine if I can downgrade or not. Most of my streaming devices are WiFi (5GHz), but the Living Room TV devices are all 1G ethernet attached to the router to prevent buffering.  I am happy  with performance but maybe i don't need that much!

Expert

Slap a 50% qos restriction on the machine running onedrive. That way it won't use all available bandwidth

Proven Sharer

In addition to the suggestions provided, TWC provides total internet usage by hour.  Log on to your account, and choose "My Internet".  You can then look at your current monthly usage.  You can then "view usage details" where you will see histograms (bar charts) by month.  You can then chose any day in a given month, and then any hour in that day.

Since usage is reported in bytes, you will need to multiply by 8 to get bits.  That gives your Mb (or Gb) / hr.  Divide that by 3600 to get Mbps (or Gbps).  This of course is just an average over one hour, but you could look at your "highest" usage in a given hour and see if you even approach what you are paying for.

Valued Participant

Thank you dstoffa. I will look at that too!