Rookie

Paying for gig internet only getting 400 to 500 speeds

Been paying for the gig service for over two years now, only get 400 to 50 down, three techs and they all say, oh it’s your router..they don’t know I can connect it to my neighbors WiFi and get 1000 mbps constantly. Getting real sick of spectrums excuses.
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Valued Participant

Re: Paying for gig internet only getting 400 to 500 speeds

2 years with 400 to 500 speeds? I would call them up and ask for a downgrade to the 400 mbps service. In my case, it's overprovisioned anyway to around 500, and sometimes I will clock even higher speeds.  At the very least you'll be paying them for what you're getting.

Helper

We need some details of your setup...what devices, how are they connected, what speed test are you using, how is the modem connected to the main line (splitters, length of coax run, etc), what to tests show when connected directly to the modem?

What provider does your neighbor have?

Rookie

Hard wired directly to the wall, no splitters, got rid of their cable. TWC modem. NetGear Orbi router, hard wired to desk top. Neighbor has AT&T. Seriously thinking of switching
Helper

Have you direct connected to the modem? Are you in an apartment building or a house? What is the coax setup behind the wall back to the tap? Has a tech tested directly with their meter and what was their finding?

Rookie

Well they get 700 down, I have connected directly and can only get 600. I’m in a house, CAT 6 cabling.
Proven Sharer

If you are paying for "Gigabit" internet connection, then Spectrum should be able to measure 930 Mbps at any time.   When Speedtest reports 600 Mbps while your computer is  connected directly to the modem, then that's the speed Spectrum is delivering at that time.  Any decrease from that number when running through your router or WiFi demonstrates a router or WiFi problem. 

Sharer

To add to @karlbeckman, have to keep in mind the shared pipe factor... where/how you test to/through can have an impact on those results. You may actually be getting much higher bandwidth to a nearby exchange point, and then run into congestion that has nothing to do with Spectrum.

Could also run up against issues with your own system's network stack. Seemingly insignificant things at lower speeds can have a real impact at higher speeds (like Cut Through Forwarding or other similar NAT acceleration tricks on the devices you go through).

Have you tried something like the TCP Optimizer from speedguide.net to reset your connections to defaults (resets auto-detect and dynamic scaling to open larger receive windows, checksum offloads and such). Have you made sure your own wifi is optimized (clear channel, expanded channel widths, etc). Reliable Ethernet cables and length to guard against interference/reflections (same applies to your coax)?

Just saying... there are lot of things that can get overlooked.
Rookie

Yea I have, downgraded to the 400 now getting near 500 speeds. It seems as if their coax network can’t handle the speed threshold
Newcomer

I've worked on several large scale networks. So, I understand how infrastructure, equipment, packets, sunspots, solar flares, etc... can interfere. But, if if your'e paying for One Gbps. I would hope you get as close as possible to that speed. When I pay for my food, or a car, or a house. I get exactly what I pay for. So, why should I need to worry about sharing bandwidth to a server. Or who I should run my speed test against.. Obviously, your technicians use equipment with preset hosts to test against. They also test that the physical connection can handle the speeds reliably.  But, why always only 400 - 500? It seems like everyone has that same exact limitation? When I first had mine installed, it was around 700 - 800. Now, it's barely 500....ALL THE TIME! Shouldn't it fluctuate? There is NEVER a time it get's close to 700 or 800. This is all while DIRECTLY wired to the modem provided by Spectrum. Go figure.