Rookie

PS4 not connecting to Arris modem

I recently got a Arris modem from TWC and all the computers and other devices connect to it except the PS4. We have been having a lot of issues with the wireless connection. Some times the whole system won't connect and some times it is certain games. The Arris is in the center part of our house and I have also noticed that all there are only four bars on my laptop instead of five. Could that be the problem?

I am not sure what to do to fix this and I am not getting any where looking it up online. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: PS4 not connecting to Arris modem

Is the PS4 the only device having an issue connecting to the wireless? 

Tyleen
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Forum Moderator

Rookie

Yes. Only the PS4. We haven't tested the PS3 because it is still packed (we recently moved). Everything works great with fast speed but the PS4.

It was only the game COD Black Ops 3 that was having problems. Some times it would not connect. Today it is the whole system. Can't get online at all and we having been trying for several hours. I even restarted to modem and that still didn't work.

If the issue is only with the PS4 there could be settings that need to be adjusted on the PS4 itself or within the router. Are you using your own router or one provided by us? 

Tyleen
Forum Moderator

Rookie

Sorry been sick for a few days and not been online.

We are using the router from TWC. I don't know what settings I would need to do on the PS4.

Lead Moderator

When you test the Internet connection from the PS4 are you getting any information back on 

that? 

'Have you tried a hardwired connecton with the PS4? 

Does the PS4 see your wireless netowrk? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

I have been having this same issue on and off for the last couple years.  I JUST got Madden 17 and was one of the first ones to get online(a big advantage) but apparently  Time Warner's DNS(or so I was told after speaking to dozens and dozens of different technicians until one finally helped me) can block the Play Station network.  You need to open up certain DNS connections, and change things, but....again, even after I was told that this was the problem, I was told they can't tell me how to do that or do that themselves because then my Computer could get hacked....or something.  Never got a real answer as to why.  99 pct of the time I'm sent oversea's and they're hardly invested in helping me.  In fact after repeating myself politely on my last call the TWC rep told me "**bleep** you mother." 

Basically it's just TWC having a monopoly in my area and not having any alternatives.  You just have to hope that it starts working again in a few days.  I've had this go away in as little as 24 hours and I've had it last for 3 weeks before.  I have used my phone in the past to use a hot spot in the meantime(though you can't do much online gaming with this as the speed is just too slow).

I just cannot WAIT until AT&T is available where I live.  I'm kinda shocked it's not now as it's just 15 minutes outside of Milwaukee. 

With all due respect, I'd be SHOCKED(very pleasantly surprised, but shocked if any resolution came from here.  Go to some of the other forums.  This is an issue that has been going on for a couple of years.  TWC even issued a press release in 2014 saying they know of some issues with their service not being able to connect with the Play Station Network and are working on it...read the comments in that thread.  They go on and on up until today as Time Warner hasn't done ANYTHING to fix the problem.  And they just don't care.  They have no reason to.  They're too big.  I've never been treated worse by a company.  From the "dropped calls" to the vulgar language when I call in certain call centers...it's the only company that I use that makes ZERO attempt to fix the problem or to even credit you for the problems you've experianced.

Lead Moderator

@TiredTWCustomer Our agents treating you disrespectfully is not something that we condone. We would like to have this looked into internally.

If you will please contact us directly HERE with your phone number, your account number 

or verification of your service address it would be appreciated.

Regards,
Julia R.
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Highlighted
Valued Participant

@TiredTWCustomer wrote:

I have been having this same issue on and off for the last couple years.  I JUST got Madden 17 and was one of the first ones to get online(a big advantage) but apparently  Time Warner's DNS(or so I was told after speaking to dozens and dozens of different technicians until one finally helped me) can block the Play Station network.  You need to open up certain DNS connections, and change things, but....again, even after I was told that this was the problem, I was told they can't tell me how to do that or do that themselves because then my Computer could get hacked....or something.  Never got a real answer as to why.  99 pct of the time I'm sent oversea's and they're hardly invested in helping me.  In fact after repeating myself politely on my last call the TWC rep told me "**bleep** you mother." 

Basically it's just TWC having a monopoly in my area and not having any alternatives.  You just have to hope that it starts working again in a few days.  I've had this go away in as little as 24 hours and I've had it last for 3 weeks before.  I have used my phone in the past to use a hot spot in the meantime(though you can't do much online gaming with this as the speed is just too slow).

I just cannot WAIT until AT&T is available where I live.  I'm kinda shocked it's not now as it's just 15 minutes outside of Milwaukee. 

With all due respect, I'd be SHOCKED(very pleasantly surprised, but shocked if any resolution came from here.  Go to some of the other forums.  This is an issue that has been going on for a couple of years.  TWC even issued a press release in 2014 saying they know of some issues with their service not being able to connect with the Play Station Network and are working on it...read the comments in that thread.  They go on and on up until today as Time Warner hasn't done ANYTHING to fix the problem.  And they just don't care.  They have no reason to.  They're too big.  I've never been treated worse by a company.  From the "dropped calls" to the vulgar language when I call in certain call centers...it's the only company that I use that makes ZERO attempt to fix the problem or to even credit you for the problems you've experianced.

I am with you on the monopoly part as I am not that far from you and have the exact same issue with no competition.

As far as the PS4 not connecting, TWC isn't going to offer much support but there are several reasons that could be causing this that are not TWC issue.

Is the PS4 connecting to the wireless at all? If not, it is not a DNS issue.

I do however recommend using DNS other than TWCs! OpenDNS, Google DNS and others are much better.

OpenDNS  208.66.220.220  &  208.66.222.222

Google DNS   8.8.8.8   &  8.8.4.4

I used a application called NameBench (free download and safe) to determine what was best for me. It ended up being 4.2.2.6 and 8.8.8.8 (google)

If the PS4 is not connecting to the wireless at all we have to check the wireless settings.

Does the PS4 see your wireless SSID? If not, is it because the router is only setup for 5Ghz? Is the PS4 close enough to the wireless?