Not applicable

Nonstop WiFi Issues Since Moving To NY

Hi All,

Just moved to Brooklyn in August and signed up with TWC. My modem/router is a Technicolor tc8717t which I have hardwired into my Mac Mini computer. Connected (some of the time) to the wifi are my girlfriend's iPhone as well as mine, my iPad, and my Xbox One which  runs cable tv into the television, as well as games, apps, movies etc.

Whether I'm on 2.4g or 5g, the wifi constantly drops. I would say if I can go more than 25 minutes doing something online and there are no problems, that's a miracle. I've live chatted with TWC two separate times; both times they told me they made some adjustments to my router settings and I would not have any more issues. "You can now look forward to experiencing the most out of your services!" I was told last time.

The computer that is hardwired in to the modem works fine for the most part; once in a while the "Online" light is out and I have no connection but that's seldom enough where it's not much of a bother. But oh my heavens the wifi! That's what we are using most of the time and it just never stops dropping in and out. Heck I even had Comcast for years back in MA and pretty much never had any issues with them. 3 months in New York with Time Warner and it's been an absolute nightmare!

Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Proven Sharer

Re: Nonstop WiFi Issues Since Moving To NY

@CudesMagudes wrote:

Hi All,

Just moved to Brooklyn in August and signed up with TWC. My modem/router is a Technicolor tc8717t which I have hardwired into my Mac Mini computer. Connected (some of the time) to the wifi are my girlfriend's iPhone as well as mine, my iPad, and my Xbox One which  runs cable tv into the television, as well as games, apps, movies etc.

Whether I'm on 2.4g or 5g, the wifi constantly drops. I would say if I can go more than 25 minutes doing something online and there are no problems, that's a miracle. I've live chatted with TWC two separate times; both times they told me they made some adjustments to my router settings and I would not have any more issues. "You can now look forward to experiencing the most out of your services!" I was told last time.

The computer that is hardwired in to the modem works fine for the most part; once in a while the "Online" light is out and I have no connection but that's seldom enough where it's not much of a bother. But oh my heavens the wifi! That's what we are using most of the time and it just never stops dropping in and out. Heck I even had Comcast for years back in MA and pretty much never had any issues with them. 3 months in New York with Time Warner and it's been an absolute nightmare!

Any suggestions?

To paraphrase Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, you're not in Kansas or rural Massachusetts any more.  This is not a TWC network problem.   The density of both population and WiFi transmitters in the NYC area is at least 100 times that of your previous residential environment.  There are only three WiFi channels at 2.4 GHz that don't overlap and interfere with each other [1, 6, and 11].  Almost every wireless router is factory preset to one of them.   TWC defaults theirs to scanning for an interference-free channel.

To solve your WiFi interference problem, turn off the WiFi and use wired Ethernet connections.  You pointed out that your wired computer has very few dropped connection events.  At the very least you need to disable the 2.4 GHz side on the WiFi router.  Hopefully all of your other devices can use either 5 GHz or a CAT-6 wired connection.  And any device that is streaming video over WiFi (your XBox) should be on 5 GHz rather than 2.4 because of the incurable interference on 2.4 GHz.

Other forum members will probably still  ask you to send in copies of the error log and signal level log from your modem.  These help the forum volunteers to determine if additional problems are visible there that could degrade your serfvice

Expert

@CudesMagudes wrote:

Hi All,

Just moved to Brooklyn in August and signed up with TWC. My modem/router is a Technicolor le

. Heck I even had Comcast for years back in MA and pretty much never had any issues with them. 3 months in New York with Time Warner and it's been an absolute nightmare!

Any suggestions?

Yeah, don't believe what you were told on the phone.

Turn off WPS, make sure there's no guest WIFI on,

Set the DHCP lease for a day not an hour.

Set dhcp start to 192.168.0.100 not the factory 192.168.0.2 , some devices are having issues with .2 to .10  

Turn off 2.4 gHz if you can get by with 5.8 only.

If not, see if the modem log keeps showing a 1-6-11 interference, If so, lock it onto ch 3 or 8

Robot Sad

Next issue, is if you don't need IPv6, turn it off especially if you have TWC phone and a TG 1672 all in one combo. I haven't heard if the TC8717 is having IPv6 issues with phone enabled.

It's another thing to try.Woman Frustrated

Not applicable

OK - I figured out how to do the following of your suggestions:

Turned off WPS

Set the DHCP lease for 1 day

Set the DHCP start to what you suggested

I have no clue what IPv6 is and don't know if I need it or not, but did locate where I can disable it.

The only thing I cannot locate is where to enable/disable the guest wifi

Expert

guest Wifi is a second wifi set to short lease time, it should be off unless you turned it on.

See if what you've done so far helps.

General items that others have had issues with in the past year.

Sharer

Ensure you place your WiFi router in a favourable location.

Don't disable 2.4GHz (nobody's made a case for doing that); most devices don't do 5GHz and 5GHz doesn't have the range 2.4GHz does.

Use a free WiFi analyzer to pick the clearest channel for your router and set it manually:

How: http://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-...

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Windows: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

Windows Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/wifi-analyzer/9nblggh33n0n

iOS: Your Apple overlords determined you are unworthy of such information or capability.