Rookie

No wireless internet with TC8717T and laptop with Windows Vista OS

My older laptop with Vista will connect fine with an ethernet cable but when it is in wireless mode it shows a strong connection with the router but there is no internet connection.  Tech service at Spectrum told me that the router if working fine. I have a newer lapatop that connects properly, along with our I-phones and I-pads.

14 REPLIES 14
Contributor

Re: No wireless internet with TC8717T and laptop with Windows Vista OS

HAve you tried to alternate between static IP and DHCP for the one running Vista?

Expert

verify routers DHCP lease is a day not an hour.

Set dhcp start at 192.168.0.100

use ethernet, it's secure and reliable compared to wireless.

Spectrum Employee

Make sure the modem is not in bridge mode.  (can check this part yourself too)

Make sure the WiFi/AWG MAC address has service codes and is assigned to the MAC. (need our help to check this)

A Tier3/Internet&Phone support agent should be able to assist with this, TC8717T modems do IPv6.  Or you can try to do this yourself by logging in (typically type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 into your internet browser, and default login is username as "admin" and password as "password") and checking to see if the mode is in NAT (which it would need to be) or Bridged (which matches the symptoms your describing).

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Expert

OP wrote:

" Tech service at Spectrum told me that the router if working fine."

As far as I know, the default for the TWC Spectrum modems is for wireless to work, they are in NAT mode. When bridged, Wireless is off. I can see issues with Apple devices and IP lan side addresses in the 192.168.x.2 to 192.168.x.10 range and changing DHCP start to 192.168.x.100 fixes them Static IP's must be in the 192.168.x.99 on down to 192.168.x.11 range especially if there is a wireless printer involved.

Vista may have seperate IP's if it was incorrectly set up for "other computers connect thru the internet thru this computer" rather than on a home/ business computer, or the setup fore wireless adapter is wrong.

Rookie

Local ip network has bridge mode Disable highlighted. Actually I had not solved the problem. Bridge mode is not on since I am using my newer computer to chat with you using wifi from the router/modem.
Rookie

Gateway shows the computer is connected. The computer shows a strong connection but it also has a red X between the network and the internet. I tried changing to DHCP on the Getway but it does not take. Is this done in the computer itself? where?

Contributor

@carlosht wrote:

Gateway shows the computer is connected. The computer shows a strong connection but it also has a red X between the network and the internet. I tried changing to DHCP on the Getway but it does not take. Is this done in the computer itself? where?

Verify that your firewall setting is not blocking Vista from accessing the 'net.

Highlighted
Rookie

Firewall is turned off. Ethernet cable connection works fine.

Expert

Sounds like the wrong wireless encryption type