Observer

New router isd and old isd

just baught a new netgear router and hooked it up to my modem after two hours back and forth between twc and netgear its finally working. the only problem is now i have my old ssid and the new netgear one. both work and when i try to login into my modem from twc it does not let me. should i be worried? is this bad and does it confuse the router?

6 REPLIES 6
Sharer

Re: New router isd and old isd

Makes and models are kinda needed to troubleshoot here.

If you have your old WiFi running and your new WiFi running....then you have two routers.

I have to ask; why did you buy a new router?

Observer

i baught a new router for better gaming! the new router i baught is the netgear  nighthawk ac1900 r7000 router. the isp router is the tg1672gg. i dont know why my old ssid still works but as you said its because the tg1672 is still working as a router and as much as i want to get into it settings i cannot. i guess i am going to  have to call twc again. if you have any solutions or quetions i am all ears.

Expert

You need to put the 1672 into bridged mode and turn off the 2.4 and 5.8 gHz wireless radios.

Then connect it's first port to your routers wan port

If you're gaming, you should not be using wireless but an ethernet cable directly

Sharer

How do you think the Netgear would improve your gaming?

How was your gaming before adding the router?  

If you had a problem before, you still have that problem and added another.

Your modem does it all: telephone, Internet, WiFi.  You added another NAT router which is going to--at a minimum--add latency to your gaming.  Don't just buy what PC Magazine, et. al. tell you to; they're just glorified advertisements.  

Do you have TWC telephone service?  Are you leasing the modem or is it free?

If you get the modem for free, I suggest returning the Netgear.

Observer

I bought the new router because of certain features like the QoS upstream service. My gaming after buying the router has been solid but it's not anything too noticeable from before. We do have twc phone and we rent the modem. We live in a 2 story home so range was a problem I thought the router could help with.
Highlighted
Sharer

@sam6749 wrote:
I bought the new router because of certain features like the QoS upstream service. My gaming after buying the router has been solid but it's not anything too noticeable from before. We do have twc phone and we rent the modem. We live in a 2 story home so range was a problem I thought the router could help with.

If gaming was fine with the new router, then it is fine with the old router since you were actually using both.

If you want optimal performance (since that is what you're after by trying to improve on what is already working), then go wired.

Are you having issues with gaming?  QoS is only necessary when there's contention and there are other means to deal with that.

If you need the phone, you're stuck with their gateway but buying your own modem will get you out of the lease.