Rookie

New Spectrum Modem Works but Won't Connect to Internet

I attempted to self-install a new Spectrum modem. It was authorized and all cables have been connected correctly. It has also been reset several times with the proper wait time in between. Additionally, this has been called in and a very nice technician attempted to send files to make sure the internet light, lights up.  So, all lights work, flicker, but the third light does not (internet).  I checked outside to make sure a cable-eating grizzly bear in Gastonia has not bitten through a cable. All look okay outside and the correct cable is attached to the modem inside.

With all that has been given previously, are there any thoughts on what is causing this lack of internet connections? Neighborhood box issue?

6 REPLIES 6
Helper

Re: New Spectrum Modem Works but Won't Connect to Internet

Are you replacing an existing working modem in the same location or is this a completely new install?

Proven Sharer

If this IS a replacement of a previous modem, remember to reset your router to its factory defaults before you attempt to optimize settings.  That usually means holding the router's reset button in for at least ten seconds, not just a quick bump.  The router needs to accept network setup parameters that are provided by the modem, including DNS server and DHCP addresses.  

Rookie

Replacement.
Lead Moderator

Hello!

What was the reason for replacement? 

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Service

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Highlighted
Sharer

Yeah... Sounds like cached data and/or previous config is still in play for your local devices and they need to be at least fully powered down for a bit, if not completely reset. Start from the wall and work outward.

And when I say power down, I mean full power removal, not just standby or reboot--do an actual full shutdown and unplug the power for at least 5 minutes.

If the modem/router appear to be in synch but a computer doesn't seem to want to play nice, it may be your firewall getting in the way, or your network stack may need to be reset to defaults. The TCP Optimizer tool at speedguide.net may resolve most of it with just a few clicks and a reboot. If not, it may call for complete reinstall of your network drivers or specific command line approach.
Lead Moderator

It definitely could be this. I would ask first though why he was replacing the modem. 

If the previous modem was offline, and he decided to swap the modem to try and correct that, this modem may also not be online and the problem require a tech to come out. 

Hopefully he will rejoin us here and provide a bit more information about the situation.

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Service

Lead Moderator-Community Forums