Newcomer

New Construction

My house was added to the end of an existing development and we just finished new construction.  3 new houses have been built at the end of the street and 2 more are making their way in.  I was told by support that I would have to spend over $1400 of my own money to pay to run a line to our new home.  Spectrum will be missing out on thousands of dollars in business over the years in these homes and wants the customer to foot the bill.  2 houses away has internet but I am being expected to pay for the line to run to my new home.  Is there anything that can be done.

4 REPLIES 4
Sharer

Re: New Construction

Sounds like an ongoing development phase for the neighborhood... might be worth geting in touch with the developer, as it would be a big selling point if the homes were wired for cable access (as in, he/she may have some bargaining power and such to get access broken out for the neighborhood in general).

Alternatively... get in touch with the competition.  Verizon has been pushing 5G residential lately... currently in early planning/prep stages in my market in fact.  AT&T has also been running new lines here as well.  Competition like that (or at least the threat of it) is usually good for the customer.

Proven Sharer

@CopyPaste wrote:

My house was added to the end of an existing development and we just finished new construction.  3 new houses have been built at the end of the street and 2 more are making their way in.  I was told by support that I would have to spend over $1400 of my own money to pay to run a line to our new home.  Spectrum will be missing out on thousands of dollars in business over the years in these homes and wants the customer to foot the bill.  2 houses away has internet but I am being expected to pay for the line to run to my new home.  Is there anything that can be done.

I would first go to the home builder / developer.  If wired cable service was sold as part of being in the community, it should be on them to wire you.

If that fails, I'd pay the piper to be connected.  Why?   First, internet connectivity is a must going forward.  And second, by being connected to the internet, you've just increased the value of your home and put you on the same playing field as your neighbors.  You would be at a severe disadvantage if two houses away wired internet was available, but not at your home.

Observer

i am curious would you keep spectrums internet connection once 5G is in your area. i have verizons 5G service in my second home and depending on situations blocking the signals ect ect though i have a server outside my window so i get awsome service. i hit 18 gigs down latency is no more than 1 milisecond!!! not bad for 50.00 a month i also bought an S10 5G and that hits 5 gigs down latency is like 20 miliseconds. it's crazy to be able to download 20 hours of full fledged 4k uhd movies on your phone in 8 minutes!!! there building there 5G network at my second home i am looking forward to them lighting it up because i plan on dumping spectrum all together!!! and verizons 5G id the only close thing to 5G that's out now!!! the other 3 carriers are using fake 5G

Proven Sharer

@krel_2018 wrote:

i am curious would you keep spectrums internet connection once 5G is in your area. i have verizons 5G service in my second home and depending on situations blocking the signals ect ect though i have a server outside my window so i get awsome service. i hit 18 gigs down latency is no more than 1 milisecond!!! not bad for 50.00 a month i also bought an S10 5G and that hits 5 gigs down latency is like 20 miliseconds. it's crazy to be able to download 20 hours of full fledged 4k uhd movies on your phone in 8 minutes!!! there building there 5G network at my second home i am looking forward to them lighting it up because i plan on dumping spectrum all together!!! and verizons 5G id the only close thing to 5G that's out now!!! the other 3 carriers are using fake 5G

I head read reviews about VZ5G, and it's not the best thing sinced slice bread.  You are one of the persons who can benefit by it, but the biggest problem being observed in the field is:

1.  You need to be very close to a "hot spot" (I have read 200-250 feet).

2.  You need line of sight.  Millimeter wave at the powers these hot spots operate at doesn't penerate trees, leaves, etc.

3.  The number of people who can be served is limited by 1 and 2 above.  This impacts ROI for the operator.

I don't see it replacing wired connections in numbers that many think it will.  And I am waiting for someone to come up with a device to wreck havoc on wireless internet by creating so much noise on the millimeter wave band to render it useless.  Hate your neighbor?  Just turn on your noise generator....