Highlighted
Not applicable

New Arris Cable Router, endless loop with "Your Unit is updating, please wait for a moment ..."

A good friend of mine wanted to do me a favor to give me a gift of a decent cable router with good WiFi coverage (3xMIMO) which was great for the house here.

Sadly I found out much later that it is not in the supported list of Time Warner Cable as it is too new, it is the successor of the supported model SBG6950-AC2  (It is a SBG7580-AC, DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1).

As I have thought already it will enter the typical boot loop when the cable provider does not like you - it stucks at "Your unit is updating, please wait for a moment...". It makes the connection, I get the frequencies used for down- and upstream, so obviously it is working.

Is there any solution other than putting it into my cabinet until TWC/Spectrum thinks this device matches their network and to get an older modem which is on the supported list?

It is essentially annoying as the package shows "compatible with Charter Spectrum".

The problem is that the TWC Technicolor device is the worst WiFi device I ever had in my life. It not only limits your 5 GHz WiFi to ridiculous small bands, it has also the worst antenna I ever had. No signal one floor up.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: New Arris Cable Router, endless loop with "Your Unit is updating, please wait for a moment

You can't just take someone's old cable modem / router and use it.  You need to contact Spectrum to have them activate it for you for your account.  They will need to provision it for your service.  (You typically give them the modem's MAC address and they'll send the update needed and authorize it for your home).

That being written, take Spectrum's free modem.  Do not pay them for home wifi, and buy your own router - one with large external antennas.  If they give you a modem / router combo, have them put it in bridge mode.

Highlighted
Helper

Re: New Arris Cable Router, endless loop with "Your Unit is updating, please wait for a moment

All in one modem/router combos usually have horrible wifi coverage. I agree with @dstoffa that you should be using a separate router with big ugly antenna.  Also, the 7580 is 3.0, not 3.1, and is on the approved list...on the Minimally Qualified list.

Highlighted
Not applicable

I am in NYC bound to Time Warner Cable and I do not see this modem as supported. Spectrum/Charter bought Time Warner Cable but still I do not see this modem as minimally supported.

I will give them a call.

Highlighted
Not applicable

I did not take an old router. This is a new successor product of a supported one.

Highlighted
Expert

Have you called spectrum and told them the new mac ID? If not, the modem won't work.. Why did you buy an all in one? Their wireless coverage stinks and the cable co has access to all the router settings....