Highlighted
Not applicable

Netgear C3000 - Not exceeding 50 MBPS

Team,

I have been using Netgear C3000 model router/modem combo for my internet. I was recently got into 200 Mbps plan as part of moving from one location to other. Earlier i used to have 100 Mbps plan. 

I tried doing a speed test using ethernet cable and suprised to see my router combo getting only at 35 Mbps. I tried repeating the speed test at multiple instances and it didn't increase much.

My question here: Is this model C3000 don't have capability to handle spectrum mentioned speed ? Model spec has all details to support upto 300 Mbps. Please advice.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: Netgear C3000 - Not exceeding 50 MBPS

Spectrum's list of approved equipment is posted on this web site at https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/?kbid=149344&utm_source=h... . The list was updated earlier this week and it shows the C3000 approved for a maximum speed tier of 100 Mbps.
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: Netgear C3000 - Not exceeding 50 MBPS

The theoretical top speed is assuming you get the full ~38mbps throughput across all channels with no errors/retransmits.

But this is not running in a clean lab environment and all that bandwidth is getting shared with others.

So in reality, you are more likely to get roughly the equivalent of around 1/4 to 1/3 of that when the network comes under higher loads.

That modem is limited to only 8 downstream channels, so you are at risk if dropping below 100mbps usable throughput when the node comes under decent loads.

Need to move to at least a 16 channel model to give yourself more headroom. If you are on a Spectrum plan (not legacy TWC and such), then you can get a modem through them at no charge. Just be mindful of their $5 wifi charge if they are managing wifi on their device. If you provide and manage your own wireless router, you can get that fee removed.