Observer

Need some quick advice on modem purchase.

Hi all.

Well, after being at my address for 14 years and living with dial up for the first 6 of those years and then getting  a DSL connection for the past 8 years that maxes out typically at around 2Mbps, TWC (or Spectrum I guess now in Central NY) contacted me today and let me know cable is now available at my address.  I noticed the equipment being installed at the poles on my road a couple months ago and now it's finally happened...service is ready here.

So I called TWC (Spectrum) today and ordered the maximum available speed internet I could get which is 50/5.  I did not choose the option to lease their modem.  I have no idea if faster speeds will be offered in the future, but I'd like to be a little future proof.  So I want to get I guess a 16x4 minimum modem.  Maybe even more like a 24x8.  Just don't know if I need that yet.  

I'm wiling to spend between $100 - $200 on something that will last me for 3-5 years.  Obviouisly the lower cost the better.  So I'm wondering what existing customers would recommend from the current list of approved modems at https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/internet/twc-compatible-modems.....  

Also, do you recommend getting a modem that is NOT a wireless router also and buying a separate wireless router?  Or do you think the combination modem/wireless routers available from the list are OK?   

Looks like I can get an Arris SB6190 (32x8), or a Netgear CM600 (24x8) for a tad more than $100.  Then I'd need to get a wireless router.  Or maybe I don't even need a modem as good as the two I listed and could go with something cheaper and be sure to get a good wireless router.  Or maybe I should only look at combination modem / wireless routers like the Netgear C7000 or Arris SBG6900-AC.

My problem is the service is scheduled to be installed on Thursday or Friday of this week.  So I need to purchase like really soon - hopefully by today (later) which is Tuesday the 24th.  Typically I would just spend lots of time researching and then after I've gathered all the relevant data go purchase.  But I don't have the time I typically would have.

I sincerely appreciate any help you might be able to provide.

Thx

Bill

10 REPLIES 10
Established Sharer

Re: Need some quick advice on modem purchase.

Spectrum SHOULD, on a new install, give you the modem for free. 

Only existing TWC customers still have to pay for a modem.

Spectrum Employee

Personally, I recommend the Spectrum modem with a personally-owned router.

Since Spectrum no longer charges for a modem lease (just for the wifi upgrade) it's the best as far as savings go since routers are much cheaper.

But if you would prefer to buy your own modem? I'd recommend literally any of the Motorola/Arris SurfBoards. They aren't the best, they aren't fancy, but they'll do the job and last you a few years. They also don't cost an obscene amount of money either... The AC1600 is $140 new from BestBuy, so I'm sure you can find one in your price range...

(((Just a heads up though: TWC/Spectrum has a hard time troubleshooting customer-owned equipment. For mostly legal reasons, they aren't able to adjust most the settings and their field techs are hesitant to touch customer equipment on the off-chance that they might break it... So you save a couple bucks a month, but tech support is limited and swapping the modem for a new version means paying full price for a new one.)))

Helper

The modem should be included in the price on Spectrum plans with a $5 add on if you want wifi enabled so most people take the included modem, have wifi disabled to eliminate the fee, and buy their own router. Having said that...I hated the included modem because it was so large. For a modem I would recommend either the Arris 6183 or 6190 and get a router with external antennas for best wifi coverage.

Observer

Thanks everyone.  I'll have to call them and ask about the free non-wifi modem.   When I placed my order online the only option I had for a modem was a wireless modem and the lease fee was $10/month.  I could choose that or choose the option to supply my own.  Had they offered me a free non-wifi modem during the order I would have chosen that option.  So I'll call them back and see if they will provide me with a non-wifi modem for no lease fee.

Thanks again.

Helper

I know every region is different, but my local TWC location told me that they only offer customers one type of modem (the big, ugly, Technicolor all in one) and just enable or disable features based on service level.

Observer

So I just chatted with Spectrum tech support and they said "I think you can get a free non-wifi modem.  But you better call (this) number to verify."  I called that number and they said I had only once choice for modem from them and it included wireless at a cost of $10/month.

I think I'll order a non-wifi unit and have it here for installation and then provide my own wireless router.  Or maybe I just wait for the tech to get here, tell him I don't have my own and ask him if he can give me a non-wifi unit for free.  If not then I'll let him install a wifi unit and I'll order my own then send theirs back when my new one comes in.

Don't even have Spectrum yet and it's already a pain in the butt :-)  Better than my glacially slow DSL though I guess.

Highlighted
Lead Moderator

@bfield3  Being in NY the Spectrum packages are not yet available. Once they are, you 

can opt to switch to a Spectrum package that would include the lease fee of the modem.

You can still use your own equipment if you choose to do so. If you wish to lease the modem in the meantime and save the price of purchasing the equipment you can do that.

Wanted to make sure  you had that information so that you can make an informed

decision about what you would like to do. 

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
^TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

Ahhh...perfect.  Great information Julia and a big help.  That explains everything.  Thanks for responding.

- Bill

Expert

@bfield3 wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I'll have to call them and ask about the free non-wifi modem.   When I placed my order online the only option I had for a modem was a wireless modem and the lease fee was $10/month.  I could choose that or choose the option to supply my own.  Had they offered me a free non-wifi modem during the order I would have chosen that option.  So I'll call them back and see if they will provide me with a non-wifi modem for no lease fee.

Thanks again.

$10 a month modem lease is a TWC plan, not a Spectrum plan. Spectrum plan is 60/6 speed also.