Expert

Re: Need help with Model:TC8717T

From the limited information you gave, the router is set wrong, either by spectrum or you. You need to stick it in bridge mode and put your old router back inline. this may require TWC/ Spectrum to put it into Bridged mode and turn the wireless off.

you cannot have the routers webpage and gateway on the same address as well as using everything above that for the DHCP range, especially 192.168.x .2 to .10 . As for port forwarding, No one has had any luck keeping those port settings  or sometimes even getting them to set in the leased all in ones.

You also can't set up or keep port forwarding running in the all in ones, either leased or owned.  you need 2 seperate devices to keep the cable co out of the router when they reset the modem.

Browser

I guess we'll agree to disagree.  My previous unit was also allin one and configured the exact same way for over a year.  Why are .2 to .10 special?  They're inside the 192.168.0.x subnet and as such are available.  The combo unit has all the components inside.  I never had a single issue with the previosu allin or or having to fix my ports.

Proven Sharer

@drool wrote:

LOL.  The lag issus is INSIDE my local network.  You guys just love flatuiating?

And my question about the firewall was how is the modem/router rejecting stuff where both IPS source and destination are outside the LAN?  

As usual, when forum people don't have any real information, they throw out stuff they understand, however unrelated, to make it look like they do.

Nothing anyone has said has anything to do with either issue.

Do any of you read?  The issue with LAG is local.  All 192.168 numbers.  The **bleep** modem/router shouldnt be affecting it,  The old one did not.

I'll just buy my own equipment and not bother asking questions.  The time when useful information came from forums was over 20 years ago.

All of the devices having lag problems connect through the same device - the router in your internet gateway.  Not all gateway devices provided by Spectrum perform in an identical fashion.  You can return the device you have now for a different one  at your local Spectrum office and exchange it for a different make and model, such as the one you used previously.

Proven Sharer

@drool wrote:

I guess we'll agree to disagree.  My previous unit was also allin one and configured the exact same way for over a year.  Why are .2 to .10 special?  They're inside the 192.168.0.x subnet and as such are available.  The combo unit has all the components inside.  I never had a single issue with the previosu allin or or having to fix my ports.

Then get Spectrum to replace your new gateway with the same model you had before.  As for "Why are .2 to .10 special? ," numerous models of network connected devices marketed by Apple either fail to connect or become functionally erratic after being assigned an available IPv4 address with a single digit in the last octet. 

Browser

All of the devices having lag problems connect through the same device - the router in your internet gateway.  Not all gateway devices provided by Spectrum perform in an identical fashion.  You can return the device you have now for a different one  at your local Spectrum office and exchange it for a different make and model, such as the one you used previously.

Ok, so if I utilize a switch and only feed the switch from the modem, and all my traffic is local, I should be able to avoid internal traffic from being routed through the modem.  Is that true? If so, I can try that to prove the theory that the all-in-one is impacting local traffic lag.

Established Sharer

Ok, so if I utilize a switch and only feed the switch from the modem, and all my traffic is local, I should be able to avoid internal traffic from being routed through the modem.  Is that true?

Yes, that's true.  To go one step further, you could disconnect the modem from the switch (after it has served up all of the DHCP addresses to your local devices), and thus be sure that the modem is having no impact on your local traffic.

Browser

Ok, so I didnt find any gigabit switches laying around, but I did find a gigibit router.

I changed the all-in-one gateway to the 192.168.10.1 address so that my 2nd router could be on 192.168.0.x and all my computers are now connected to it, with no changes to IP assignments.

It's all working and all local traffic should be isolated from the spectrum allinone unit.  I'll report back if the local lag is fixed.

I've had multiple people try and tell me that my gateway had to be on a defined IP value from spectrum, but that is mis-information.  Tier 3 assured me that that value doesnt matter at all as far as network setup.  It just changes the subnet of the local lan and can be used to configure that.

Browser

Local lag is gone.

I would like to understand what in the new modem caused it.  But I can live with the additional router.

Expert

You cannot have a server on a static ip in the DHCP range, period.  The all in one is what was setting the dhcp addy's with no static IP's available.

Some devices interpret single last digits as a server class and not user terminal class and malfunction.

Proper network IP setup seems to be sticking statics below dynamics and a .100 break point seems to always work.

All it takes is one device to hose up the network and it's unknown how a specific all in one router will handle the device.

Supposedly IPv6 "fixes " all of this but since TWC never gotit fully implemented, no one knows...

Browser

who has any static ips?  I have local reserved addresses in the DHCP range.