Browser

Re: Need help with Model:TC8717T

Not in bridge mode and I have 4 computers getting DHCP from the modem directly (its a router/modem).  I have special ports open, reserved addresses and wifi all set up.  I think you are assuming its just a cable modem.  I know what my network is setup to do.  I just can't explain that firewall log or the ogassional LOCAL gaming lag. Local meaning I am runnin the clients and the server here.

not bridge mode

Browser

Does this give you what you want for "signal"?  I saw this, but was not sure its what you want.

signal info

Expert

ok, you shouldn't be getting the modems log pages at 192.168.0.1 but at 192.168.100.1 when in NAT mode

192.168.0.1 has got to be the gateway. not the web gui url...

before you change anything, see if all devices show the same public IP, If not the modem is jacked up.  use what's my IP or speedguide.net

Change the DHCP start to 192.168.0.100  as .2 to .10 have been an issue with some devices interpretting it as server class. Then set static ip's at 192.168.0.99 on down.

Are you using IPv6 on some devices?

The signal page looks normal, low correction errors

Expert

@drool wrote:

Not in bridge mode and I have 4 computers getting DHCP from the modem directly (its a router/modem).  I have special ports open, reserved addresses and wifi all set up.  I think you are assuming its just a cable modem.  I know what my network is setup to do.  I just can't explain that firewall log or the ogassional LOCAL gaming lag. Local meaning I am runnin the clients and the server here.

not bridge mode

Someone else here needs to examine this.... I wonder if this is an example of the technicolor boxes being backwards.  192.168.0.1 should only be the gateway

Expert

How are you running a server without a static ip? It can't be in the DHCP range since .2 to .254 is the entire range of IP's

Also the DHCP timeout is set forever, I'd change that to a week to clear out any riff raff that may get in on wireless

Browser

I reserve the local IP address via the modem/router and I channel all port traffic for the gamning software to that address.  I dont have a static IP from spectrum, but it very seldom changes and when it does I update a dynamic DNS service that I use.  So people come in via the WAN address and the router/modem directs traffic where I want it to do, web to one machine, gaming clients to the server.

This has all been working, and still does, with those 10 second local lag bumps ever since switching to the spectrum modem/router.  Nothing else has changed.  Same reserved IPs, etc.

I get back to two questions:

1) How can I find what is causing the lag spikes locally (did not happen with previous modem/router)

2) Are the firewall hits I showed sensible? 

Expert

Your lan setup is wrong.

That needs to be corrected first

Then there's the issue of attempting to use an all in one device

Browser

My LAN is setup fine.  The allin one is Spectrum's choice when  I was changed over.

Neither is the issue, or at least,  not without some evidence of something wrong.  Hence, the logs.

Proven Sharer

If you've been in the computer science and IT industries for 30 years, you should know how to look up those intruding IP addresses to see who is causing the firewall events at your end. 

As for DHCP on your network, we presume that you already know that if you are loading your customized port details into the Spectrum combo gateway, they will return to the network default values any time TWC initiates a remote reset orf the gateway unit.  If you want them to be permanent you have to make them in YOUR router which TWC can't get into (be SURE you don't allow any access from the WAN port!

Also, we presume you are using TWC's DNS servers at 209..18.47.61 and 62 , since only they know how your packets need to be routed to arrive at one of the IXP edge router sites, then out to www. 

Last, the TWC and Spectrum internet terms and conditions of use don't allow you to host a server used by 3rd parties on your residential connection. 

Browser

LOL.  The lag issus is INSIDE my local network.  

And my question about the firewall was how is the modem/router rejecting stuff where both IPS source and destination are outside the LAN?  

Nothing anyone has said has anything to do with either issue.

Do any of you read?  The issue with LAG is local.  All 192.168 numbers.  The **bleep** modem/router shouldnt be affecting it,  The old one did not.

I'll just buy my own equipment and not bother asking questions.  The time when useful information came from forums was over 20 years ago.