Browser

Modem/Voice Combo Upgrade Recommendations

I currently have the ARRIS TG1672 modem and it seems I may need an upgrade however I was looking for recommendations or suggestions on which of the avilable ones are better than this device so I could request it.

So here is the story -  6 days ago my TWC legacy plan/promotion was up and I had to officially switch to a Spectrum plan so I went to the store and did so. I spoke with a rep online before going to the store and they told me I DID need to exchange the modem because it wouldn't work. We brought it in but the woman who helped us at the store said we did NOT have to exchange it as they still issue them out and they are supposed to work therefore I kept it. But ever since I did, the speeds seem to be all over the place I contacted another rep online today because I was having some seriously slow internet issues. She said my packet loss was 0 and all signals were good yet my speeds was stuck at 7MB. We got disconnected and eventually I resolved it myself to where the speeds were around 100 yet still all over the place. However she ALSO suggested to trade in my modem for a newer one since this one is like 3 years old. So does anyone have any suggestions? Let me know if you need any more info.

Also - I know this one has IPV6 issues and turned that off long ago so I know that isn't effecting anything.

Service: All 3 - TV, Spectrum Standard Internet, Voice
Modem: Arris TG1672
Subscribed Speed: 200 mb dl

11 REPLIES 11
Helper

Re: Modem/Voice Combo Upgrade Recommendations

Most Spectrum stores now only give out the Spectrum branded DOCSIS 3.1 modems (by either Technicolor, Ubee, or Hitron) and separate Spectrum Wave 2 branded router (by Askey, Arris, or Sagemcom).

Having said that...if you are having signal issues a new modem will not fix it.  Are you speed testing over wifi or direct connected via ethernet?

Browser

Actually the rep said I am not having signal issues, that's just it. Everything was good when they checked it on their end which is why she told me it may be an equipment issue. But yeah, I was testing the speeds on both wired and wireless connections to verify (different computers too) and they had the same reading when I was doing the tests before, during the discussion with the rep and after. Now the speeds are all over in the range of 30-80 mb which is still really inconsistent and low. I should be near 200 like I was before I switched to Spectrum plan.

I noticed somewhere in the readings it said I was using DOCSIS 2 or something, but on the modem page (https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/modems-routers-wireless-adapters/)  they say this modem is supposed to use 3.0. But then again that's the TG1672G. Is the "G" model different than the TG1672? Or is this not even relevant?

Valued Participant

you may need to contact Spectrum and ask them to re-download your modem config file, which govern's your speed to a large degree. It wouldn't hurt.

Browser

I'm going to contact them again to verify they set me up with the correct speed, I will definitely try asking about the modem config file. The last few hours my speed tests have been consistently 80-90 MB now on my computer and another hard wired device. I feel like I'm being capped at 100 or something. I also need to have them shut off and remove the wifi fee since I have my own router.
Browser

Well turns out she also confirmed I need a new modem. So hopefully I will get one of the newer Spectrum DOCSIS 3.1 ones like Reds91185 mentioned.
Helper

Do you have access to the modem's signal levels page and event log from 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1?

Browser

Here they are. The rep mentioned I had a lot of timeouts and I certainly do.

Status.jpgEvents2.jpgEvents1.jpg

Helper

The signals levels are are pretty strong...even a bit on the high side but not too much so that shouldn't be a problem.  Have you checked all the connections to make sure everything is tight and not damaged?

Just to cover all bases...does the computer you are using to test have gigabit ethernet connections?

Browser

Good suggestions - once I switched plans I did have to mess with a couple of cables and slightly change my setup. One connections was indeed untightened a smidge but it didn't solve anything. I also wasn't positive about my computer having a gigabit port since it's a bit on the older side and I double checked that which it does.