Highlighted
Rookie

Modem Random Restarts

As part of cutting the cable a couple weeks ago (still have Sectrum Internet and phone), Spectrum required me to upgrade my modem/router. The new one is a Technicolor TC87617T. Prior to this I had basically no internet connection problems whatsoever. Now the modem restarts randomly. Not sure how often as I only see it when I'm on the internet, but at least a couple times a day. The modem does restart and come back online, but I have to manually reconnect computer and printer.

Haven't contacted Spectrum yet, thought I'd try here first. 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Helper

Re: Modem Random Restarts

Do you have access to the modem's signal levels and event logs? Try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

Were extra splitters and coax no longer needed removed or terminated?

Highlighted
Rookie

I do know that there is a splitter, no longer being used, in Spectrum's panel outside my house, I had thought about removing that but it wasn't causing an issue before I upgrade.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Look at the signal levels. The downstream db levels should ideally be between +/-10 db and be fairly close together from channel to channel... like within 1db of drift across about 50 or 60mhz range (8 to 10 channels in a row) , and same with SnR value (which should ideally be at least 38). The 4 downstream channels should also be roughly within about a 2db range from lowest to highest and ideally around the 44 to 48db range.

If it is too inconsistent, may be an issue related to the splitter--could be unterminated lines, corroded/loose connections, etc.
Highlighted
Rookie

I've looked at the System Logs and Event Logs for my router, but don't see anywhere that it tells me signal strength. Mostly I see a lot of "WiFi Interface [wl1] set to Channel 149 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INTERFERENCE".

Rookie

OK I found something:

Downstream    

LockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLocked
459 MHz453 MHz465 MHz471 MHz477 MHz483 MHz489 MHz543 MHz555 MHz561 MHz639 MHz645 MHz651 MHz657 MHz663 MHz681 MHz
40.2 dB40.3 dB40.1 dB40.2 dB40.0 dB40.0 dB40.1 dB40.0 dB39.7 dB39.8 dB38.0 dB38.1 dB37.5 dB37.9 dB37.8 dB37.8 dB
6.1 dBmV6.2 dBmV5.9 dBmV6.0 dBmV5.8 dBmV5.8 dBmV5.8 dBmV6.2 dBmV6.0 dBmV6.5 dBmV3.7 dBmV3.8 dBmV3.3 dBmV3.5 dBmV3.5 dBmV3.8 dBmV
256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM

Upstream         
 LockedLockedLockedLocked           
 37.0 MHz17.8 MHz24.2 MHz30.6 MHz           
 5120 Ksym/sec5120 Ksym/sec5120 Ksym/sec5120 Ksym/sec           
 45.5 dBmV41.8 dBmV42.5 dBmV44.8 dBmV           
 ATDMAATDMAATDMAATDMA           
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Yeah... got a little more roll off than expected. Hopefully it is something "simple" like a line not connected to something elsewhere in the house letting noise creep in.

As best you can, go through and make sure to minimize the cabling so you don't have any open ports/cables out there to see if you can clean up the noise and reclaim some signal strength.
Highlighted
Rookie

So I removed a splitter from the Spectrum panel box outside (the part that allows customer access) and so far so good. Haven't noticed any restarts within the last couple days. 

Will continue to monitor and see how it goes.

Highlighted
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I do have a router and plan on following your advise. Just out of curiosity,  wondering why a modem/router combo is less secure than a separate router? 

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Aside from the differences in features and such (better security options, better performance options... you having full control of it, etc.), exploits and such tend to get addressed faster. For instance, almost the entire Asus line runs the same core kernel. Same with Netgear Nighthawks, Linksys WRT designs etc. A fix for them can be quickly applied to the full lineup--and even the custom Merlin, Tomato, etc.. releases. In contrast, the ISP models have to go through extra certifications and whatnot, and even the non-commercial units can still get delayed for additional testing before updates hit the wire.

Running them separately makes tweaking and upgrading things easier in the long run too. The modem becomes a sort of "dumb" device by comparison... a pass through device that just does basically one thing: modulates/demodulates the signals. The router becomes the workhorse of your network, and you are free to tweak, update, reset to defaults--even replace at will with pretty much no impact to the uplink that Spectrum manages.