Observer

Modem Only Allowing 1 Connection After Switch To Spectrum From TWC

So on Thursdsy we had our service officially switched to Spectrum, before that we were considered a "legacy TWC customer". Since switching I have been unable to connect more than one device to my modem.

So this is how my setup was/is before switching (worked for over 3 years):

Ethernet cable from the modem runs to an unmanaged switch ("unmanaged" means the switch does nothing but split the connection into more ethernet ports). The switch has 4 output ports, 1 runs to my PC, 1 to my PS4, 1 to my PS3, and 1 to my wireless router. This way I avoid any stupid NAT type issues when playing games and connection issues when the router desides to go full potato from time to time.

Network Diagram.jpgNetwork Diagram

Now what happens is when the modem is booted it only connects to whichever of the 4 devices accepts the signal first. The other 3 are rendered useless saying there is no internet connection (if the router and PC are on when the modem is booted, they will both be temporarily connected for 5-10 seconds but then the router gives up/loses against the PC).

Literally NOTHING from the setup has physically changed. The only change is Spectrum updating the service.

Modem:  SB6141

http://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/sb6141/

Switch:  NETGEAR GS105 v4

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS105v5

Router: NETGEAR N300 (WNR2000v2)

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNR2000v2.aspx

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Browser

Re: Modem Only Allowing 1 Connection After Switch To Spectrum From TWC

when you switch to Spectrum, you should get free Modem for it

Proven Sharer

Spectrum will only give you one public IP address. Your router does NAT to create a LAN for all your devices, and creating a set of private IP addresses for devices on your network. By placing the switch after the modem but before the router, you are hoping to to get four public IP addresses for the devices in your home. This doesn’t work (anymore). It used to, and you were lucky for a while. If everyone did what you are attempting, and it worked, the world would run out of IP addresses rather quickly.

The proper order of devices is modem to router to switch.
Expert

You have it connected wrong. The router needs to before the switch not after it.

You must have a router if you have more than one device

Observer

@BelleroseNYC wrote:

when you switch to Spectrum, you should get free Modem for it

I don't see how this answered anything from my question.

Observer

@MsRaye wrote:

You have it connected wrong. The router needs to before the switch not after it.

You must have a router if you have more than one device

It's not "wrong", the switch, and any other switch does not need a specified connection order. it's basically a glorified splicer. Technically now it doesn't work because Spectrum's being a typical ISP. I'm guessing when I call and ask about it they'll want to charge me more for each additional IP, something that's essencially already free to them.

Observer

@dstoffa wrote:
Spectrum will only give you one public IP address. Your router does NAT to create a LAN for all your devices, and creating a set of private IP addresses for devices on your network. By placing the switch after the modem but before the router, you are hoping to to get four public IP addresses for the devices in your home. This doesn’t work (anymore). It used to, and you were lucky for a while. If everyone did what you are attempting, and it worked, the world would run out of IP addresses rather quickly.

The proper order of devices is modem to router to switch.

I figured this was the problem, I was just hoping Spectrum wasn't being stupid. See the problem with "if everyone did what you are attempting, and it worked, the world would run out of IP addresses rather quickly" is that literally no one (less than 1%) is actually going to do it. Your standard run of the mill person is going to simply plug in the router they got from BestBuy to the modem, thus 99/100 customers will just have 1 IP adress. It's rather dumb because it's not even like having multiple IPs makes you untraceable/untrackable (I'm guessing trackability is the reason ISPs have been moving away from dynamic IP adresses for the last decade.) My 4 IPs would still all show up under my physical adress/account.

Expert

Sorry but it is connected wrong. You need to have NAT running when running more than one device.

The router must be right after the modem and then the switch used to expand the router ports not the other way around.. That way all your lan side device have their own seperate IP addresses.

Proven Sharer

It's not necessarily Spectrum who is being stupid.  You don't seem to understand what your residential cable internet service includes.  You get ONE and only one public IP address for your cable modem, which is included in your monthly charge.   Want more than one dynamic IP address, or  a static IP address??  Then you will need to sign up for Spectrum's Business Class service. 

Trackability is not the reason you are limited to a single IP address on cable.  It's that the ISPs have already run out of IPv4 address blocks, and IPv6 is not as stable with the wide range of existing cable network hardware already existing in the field.

Proven Sharer

It's not "wrong", the switch, and any other switch does not need a specified connection order. it's basically a glorified splicer. Technically now it doesn't work because Spectrum's being a typical ISP. I'm guessing when I call and ask about it they'll want to charge me more for each additional IP, something that's essencially already free to them.

Public IP addresses are not essentially free.  There is a finite amount of Routable IPv4 addresses available, and they've all been allocated (but might not be in use yet).  Spectrum (and every other ISP) has a finite amount of them. 

There are less than 4 billion routable IPv4 addresses, and if every internet connected computer, printer, cell phone, web-server, etc. had one, they'd have been gone twenty years ago.   NAT and CIDR have enxtended the life of IPv4.

If you actually want four public IP addresses, you'll need to update to business class and pay accordingly.