Browser

Modem Access

Hello -- I tried to login into my modem (Technicolor)  but was locked out.  I thought that I  changed the password  and forgot it -- so I did a factory reset (using a paper clip) and  still 

was not able to log into the moden with the default  credentials  and  still was locked  now -- 

Does anyone know if this option was locked out my twc?  Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8
Expert

Re: Modem Access

where are you?

nyc has password of the week, lol.

Why did you buy a technicolor all in one?

All in ones are under complete control/reset by the cable co's

and are not recomended by anyone.  The cable co's change the passwords to their standards..

u?

Highlighted
Browser

Hello -- Thanks for the reply -- I did not by the  (cable) modem -- it was  the one that was 

given to me my TWC -- so they  block out the direct modem access?  -- I kind of  figured that 

when I see that you can set the wi-fi password via the web interface  -- so it that the case now? 

Browser

yes in NYC
Expert

get another one from TWC then...

Browser

not sure what  comes after "then" 

Proven Sharer

@fpefpe wrote:

not sure what  comes after "then" 

Then you replace the failed one (self-installation) and turn it back in to TWC.

Browser

so the fact that I can login the modem  is a defect in the unit and not TW change the firmware/pw so I can't login? 

Proven Sharer

@fpefpe wrote:

so the fact that I can login the modem  is a defect in the unit and not TW change the firmware/pw so I can't login? 

No, you didn't quite understand whatr MsRaye said.  Users of TWC-rented modems are only permitted to make changes to a few settings, but definitely NOT to load or alter the firmware.  Users changing passwords to their TWC-owned data modems is not permitted, because TWC MUST have 24 hour access to support and adjust it.  You may be able log in and THINK you have successfully changed the password, but the modem will detect and report the intrusion and TWC will then automatically force the password back to (one of) theirs.  

If you choose to avoid the TWC monthly modem rental charge, you can purchase your own modem; most contributors to this forum do recommend this approach.  TWC will push down their currently approved firmware when the modem is initially registered on the system.  You would also have to purchase your own router device (and optional WiFi), which you will manage and support.