Rookie

Minimally qualified modems

I just tried to upgrade my service to the 400mbps tier and was told initially that I could.  Now the technicians are saying that my modem is not allowed on the 400mbps tier.  I have a SB8200 which is on the list of minimally qualified.  My understanding is that being on that list just means they don't guarantee the speed but they wouldn't even provision it.

Alas I just downgraded my service back to the 100.  It seems silly to put so many road blocks to upgrade.

Does anyone else have the SB8200 on the 400 tier?   What magic verbage did you use to get them to provision it for 400?

3 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Minimally qualified modems

I know I'm not answering the question you asked, but it boils down to this:  Minimally Qualified Modems have not been tested to confirm their ability to deliver your requested internet service speed.  

You were notified that your SB8200 can't be programmed for a 400 Mbps internet service connection that you asked for.  You chose to return to your previous 100/10 connection. 

You can still ask Spectrum to program your modem for the 300/20 or 200/20 Mbps package, if either tier is offered in your area.  Or you could purchase a modem from Spectrum's list of fully tested and approved units that support 200 or 300 Mbps.  Or you can use the 'loaner' modem that Spectrum provides for no added charge.

If you haven't searched to find this yet, here's an extract from the notice regarding use of Minimally Qualified Modems which Spectrum has posted at the top of this forum:

Authorized Devices on the Spectrum Network/ Customer Owned Equipment

(Lots of text trimmed for brevity)

"You may also choose to buy a modem that has passed minimal testing to confirm that it won't cause harm to our network. Though permitted for use on our network, we recommend against using Minimally Qualified Modems because they haven't been tested to confirm their ability to deliver your purchased internet service speed.

Note: If you attempt to install your own device from our authorized modems list that doesn't meet the speed tier you ordered or if we can't determine the device qualification, you'll get a message that notifies you of this, and you'll be asked to acknowledge this before you proceed.

Below are the Minimally Qualified Modems that have passed the limited no-harms certification testing."

• Arris SBG6950
  • Arris SBG6950 AC2
  • Arris SBG7400
  • Arris SBG7400 AC2
  • Arris SB8200
  • Linksys CG7500
  • Linksys CM3016
  • Motorola MB7621   " [ ... list truncated] 
Sharer

I have a tractor that can do 40 mph. It's "minimally qualified" to drive on an interstate where most traffic is going faster. Because my 40 mph tractor will slow down the interstate for the rest of the traffic out there, I'm discouraged from driving it out there.

Same deal with your SB8200. It "could" theoretically be provisioned for 400 but Spectrum won't do it because it could potentially impact other traffic on your node.

Helper

Minimally qualified modems fall into two buckets: those that are almost obsolete and those that haven't been put through a full battery of testing. The SB8200 (and the CM1000/1100) fall into the latter category. They are 3.1 modems very capable of gig speeds but just haven't been fully tested (and why should Spectrum be in any hurry to do so when they give their customers a modem for free).

Having said that, many customers have been successful in getting the 8200 set up on the 400 tier. You just may need to call back and speak to another rep.