Expert

Re: Measured good speed, but everything takes forever to load?!

reset the modem so the counters are zero'd out, the 6121/41 has a normal 500-1000 correcteds per ch on startup. Check levels again in a couple hours.. Do they go up a lot?

if so there's an issue, probably outside

As for an amplifier, I'd replace the entire mess with an 8 port ACTIVE RETURN amplified splitter/amp.

Get one that has unity gain on all 8 ports both fwd and rev

Or a 9 port one and put your tel modem on the voip bypass port if you have a battery backup in it.

Participant

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg478/Toller/error_zps2ikujxdo.jpg

The uncorrected are the same as they were initially.  The corrected are all new (were 0 after reboot).  I have included more because I noted that the last channel had less power than before.

Anyhow... why a 8-way instead of a 4-way?  I only have three cables.

Participant

I don't know what unity gain is, but this is what I have found.

http://www.signalboosterstore.com/dropamps.htm

I also found this with unity gain, but it doesn't seem to amplify.

http://www.channelmaster.com/4_Port_Bypass_Amplifier_with_Unity_Gain_p/pctvb4un.htm

Expert

you have 6 devices, that's  2 modems and 4 cable boxes.  The existing amp and 8 way needs to be removed.

amp needs to be a bidirectional one

The motorola is esentially what you have now,

an 8 port version of the channelmaster would be the best

Participant

Only one cable box.  The other TVs are analog; but I see what you mean.

Both of the amps i listed are bidirectional, aren't they?

Are either suitable (ignoring the fact they aren't 8way...)

Expert

the first amp has no amp in the reverse direction so if you have an 8 way splitter, you now have 11 dB of loss upstream. It won't affect tv's or DTA's but it will mess up cable boxes, DVR's and modems

in that case the ChannelMaster 4 port would work fine.feed 3 ports to the modems and box then use a 3 way splitter on the 4th port to feed the 3 tv's get an equal port 3 way, it will have 5dB of loss on all 3 ports.

eventually TWC is phasing out any boxless cable and those 3 willl need DTA's or full boxes, depends on what Spectrum/ Charter decides to do.

I don't know if this will help your intermittent speed problem...

Participant

`Just for the heck of it, I switched the cables that go to the TV 8way splitter, and the cable that goes to the modem/telephone; so now the modem/telephone is now amplified and the TV is not.
The TV is fine; the cable box continues to work. I didn't check all channels, but it seems good.
The Telephone continues to work normally.
The internet improves significantly. The signal to noise remains at 37, but the signal power goes from -3 to 11.

Since the amp is NOT bidirectional, shouldn't something not work properly? I am so confused.

Expert

it has no gain in the reverse direction. it has reverse pass, no gain, I don't consider it a true "bidirectional amp" as it only amplifies in one direction, the forward or downstream one.

I'll bet the modems upstream levels are now over +50dBmv and marginal.

Also, downstream levels above +10dBmv are problematic. Yeah the modem is advertised as having a -15 to +15 range but they don't work well outside of -10 to +10...

post the whole page...