Participant

Measured good speed, but everything takes forever to load?!

I measure download at 24 and upload at 2.4.  Not blazing, but plenty fast for browsing.  Right?

But a simple new article can take 30 seconds to download; shouldn't it be pretty instantaneous?  My cell phone is much better.

I changed from Mozilla to Edge, which is supposed to be faster.  No improvement.

My computer, while working fine, was 10 years old.  I bought a new one.  No improvement. (okay, not the best, but everything is up to date and I am just trying to see a CNN article)

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
Expert

Re: Measured good speed, but everything takes forever to load?!

copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages, don't reset it, need real history.

What's your zip?

What sort of malware anti virus program is installed?

Any cloud or sync running?

Participant

Zip is 14544

Malwarebytes and Panda antivirus.

No cloud services.  (I do have backups to Mozy, but it is only a few minutes a couple times a day)

I don't know how to paste the logs here, but I hope the below will do

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg478/Toller/2_zpscipzklwl.jpg

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg478/Toller/1_zps9xdaxijp.jpg

Expert

Correctables and uncorrectables are too high. That's also a 4x4 modem and won't be provisioned any faster than 50/5 service

worst channel is 555 mHz TV ch 28

it's field strength is listed here as kinda weak: but if you have any loose connections it will degrade that channel

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cb9234218e28

Participant

Pretend I am ignorant.  Do I complain to TW?  Get a new modem?

There is an amplifier on the cable.  The previous owner told me it was temporary until TW could fix it, but they never did.  TW told me that if it worked with an amp, it didn't need fixing. Don't know what to believe.

I measure the speed as 24/3, which ought to be adequate, but is really slow

Valued Contributor

I was just browsing for simular issues. I couldn't but to read that you have two Antivirus software running same time? If this is true don't. This will not only slow down your computer but will also cause malware onto your computer. Both Antivirus softwares are not the best. I use iolo System Mechanic Pro and is a better choice. I also love the new Norton Security 2017 edition. I could not say this about Norton 3 years ago or even 2 years ago. Download a trial of System Mechanic Pro at smpro.iolo.com
Expert

If you have a -3 level after an amplifier, something is seriously wrong. Why is there an amp? Describe what it feeds and what model# is it?

Participant

The amp was there when I bought the house.  I was told it was temporary until TW could fix it, but TW says that if it is working it doesn't need to be fixed.

Cable comes in and goes to a Antronix 2way splitter, -3.5db out, 5-1002mhz

Side One goes to a Antronix MRA1-15, +15db, 52-1000mhz amp.   It goes to a 8way splitter.  i have 4 televisions; the other 4 have terminator caps on them.  When i replace the amp with a connector the TV reception becomes terrible.

Side Two goes to a Gemini 5-900mhz splitter.

Side 2A goes to a Touchstone Telephony Modem and to the phones.

Side 2B goes to a Motorola SB6121 modem and to a Cisco E3000 router.

I have  one wired internet, maybe 2 or 3 wireless internets.

Clear as mud, right?

Expert

OK, the amp is only for the TV's ,

Your levels at the modem are to be expected with a pair of 2 way splitters in line and 7 dB of loss.

It has no upstream gain and can't be used for the modems.

Make sure all connectors are a tad more than finger tight.

See if those corrected/ uncorrecteds are still increasing.

Participant

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg478/Toller/error_zpsy2sael52.jpg

I tightened all the connectors and it seems maybe a little better, though not what I have seen on other peoples computers.

I have attached two error reports made 6 hours apart; perhaps that shows something.

Would it help if i replaced the amp and 2 splitters with a 4way amp splitter?

If so, does it matter if the return is passive or active? (active are twice the price...)

Do I have anything to complain to TW about?  I don't want to be a crank, but don't want to suffer if they aren't giving me a proper signal.

I appreciate your help.