Seasoned Contributor

Re: Maxx on Hold, We were lied to, again.

It would be nice if Time Warner would give us some sort of clue to go on, but no, no offical announcement, just a bit out of a leaked internal memo.

Browser

Some of us in San Diego are getting switched over.  I'm 300/20 now.   I haven't got an email about modem switch over and they did testing with San Diego before where they took it away after a month an a half.  So I don't know if things are resuming or they just quietly turned on some places that are ready.  

Either way it's some positive signs.  

Seasoned Contributor

@quisp65 wrote:

I haven't got an email about modem switch over

Do you rent or own your modem?

Browser

I own, but don't they send an email and a letter anyway?

Seasoned Contributor

No, I don't think so, at least from what I've heard. I guess they assume since you have your own modem, you know if you need to get a new one. Not sure why they can't notify anyway, especially if your modem is on their approved list.

Expert

You can also weigh in my 8-16-24 channel snafu info...

Adding channels slows speed... only at TWC, lol.

Seasoned Contributor

@quisp65 wrote:

I own, but don't they send an email and a letter anyway?

My understanding is there should be multiple communications as a service area is converted to Maxx with a final notification that you now have a new set of choices.  Even if you're at the top tier I would expect a letter.  However, as you say, it may not be "official" or the mail is in transit.

You can direct message the TWC people here and ask.

Seasoned Contributor

My understanding is there should be multiple communications as a service area is converted to Maxx

I think the original question was do you get notified to swap out your modem if you're using one you own. Not that I would really know... we've recently been converted to digital, but who knows when Maxx might start here.

Expert

Max has nothing to do with the NTSC analog  channel deletion.  Commercials are half truths.

If you have 12 or more qam channels in your modem, that's enough for 200-300 downstream speeds

8 channels only hits the theoretical max of 343 megs with no room for any interference, basicly a lab quality connection  on coax not HFC conversion from/to fiber

Seasoned Contributor

@pfisterfarm wrote:

I think the original question was do you get notified to swap out your modem if you're using one you own.

I've seen references to an equipment compatibility statement in the new service letter, unsaid was if the device was owned or not. The DOCSIS specification appears to require that the CM be able to identify* itself via SNMP so TWC should know if your CM needs an upgrade for Maxx.

*e.g. HW_REV: 1.01B; VENDOR: NETEAR; BOOTR: 1.1; SW_REV V1.01.05; MODEL: CM600