Expert

Re: Maxx on Hold, We were lied to, again.

42 months, 2019 is a long way off and things will change, we'll se a lot more direct FIOS by then

Coaxial/ HFC  network days are limited...

Don't waste money on a supposedly futureproof modem

Helper

@MsRaye wrote:

42 months, 2019 is a long way off and things will change, we'll se a lot more direct FIOS by then

Coaxial/ HFC  network days are limited...

Don't waste money on a supposedly futureproof modem

In the big scheme of things 3 years is a long time, but the poor folks in Colombia  County have one of the worst systems in country, they will be happy. As for modems, I hope nobody buys their own modem, at this point, (since the rental is really in the price). We have an overbuilder here but their prices are simlar with a two year contract, so it seems the overbuilder has decided to take the leftovers and add plant slowly.

Established Sharer

@jhf5 wrote:

I was/am not mad about the moratorium, but to do it to do customers that are days away from switch being turned on, literally, without notice, AFTER the glossy letters was kind of aggravating, at least INY State they have bound themselves to upgrading the entire system to Maxx standards within 42 months, so it all ain't bad.
  =) 
-------------

----------

I had 100 meg service for a few months, but then lost it, back to 20 megs, before the sale was approverd.  So I CAN'T blame Charter, but onluy TWC, for that.

Since it's CLEAR that 100 meg serice IS POSSIBLE there, easily, I will blame Charter/Spectrum if it doesn't happen within a reasonable time.

Expert

100-300 service is available anywhere there are more than 8 channels DS, the issue is to give it away for free.

\

Same as the blatant untruth about having to get rid of all the analog channels to go 100-300.

The real reason to get rid of analog is to get accurate payment from customers and not have to send out techs to change traps and filters whenever new channels were added or deleted.

Here in NEO we have 12-16 qam data channels as well as 40+ analog NTSC tv channels

Next issue is the # of single ch docsis 1-2 modems and the limited acceptance bandwidth of most 4x4 docsis 3 modems on an 8-16 channel system

TWC owns a lot of them and can't afford to replace them. Customers own a lot as well and are going to be (edited) that the modems are/ were on the approved list

Seasoned Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

100-300 service is available anywhere there are more than 8 channels DS, the issue is to give it away for free.

Really? I've had more than 8 channels for months now. Why didn't they give me 100 before the upgrades stopped?

Observer

@DaKat wrote:

Unless you are a person AT Charter, WITH a lot of power and authority, you have NO better idea than *I* do about what will happen tomorrow and into the future.

But I can GUARANTEE you, things will NOT stay the same.  They never DO, and never have.

BTW, got my first Bill after the sale yesterday, and it DROPPED by $15 a month already (I was paying $175 for TV/Internet, now it's $159), with NO change in service.

IF they go to 60 megs down, that's STILL a BIG plus for me.

Actually I do know what is going to happen because Charter had to explain it to regulators, so we know from the public record what speeds they have to deliver and by when.

Charter hasn't touched TWC's billing so any bill change is not a consequence of this deal. If you are paying $159 for TV and Internet, you are still paying too much. Here is my bill:

$113.72 for Preferred TV/Variety Pass + Home Phone National + Whole House DVR with one extra box + Ultimate (50/5) Internet

Call them up and tell them you want to pay around $100 for TV and Internet and assuming you don't have premiums or other special pay services, you should get close to that. I will have saved you $50 a month or $600 a year and I guarantee you I will have done more for you in the five minutes it took to write this message than Charter will do for you over the next three years. Don't shoot the messenger.

Expert

When TWC expanded and provisioned 12 channels from the previous 8, my 15.8/1.18 service went up to 17.5/1.26

Valued Contributor

@pfisterfarm wrote:

@MsRaye wrote:

Really? I've had more than 8 channels for months now. Why didn't they give me 100 before the upgrades stopped?

I've had 16 for who knows how long, and they don't even have a timeline for my town.

Seasoned Contributor

Well, they don't seem to have a timeline for anywhere right now, until further notice.

Expert

As for channels, where they are can be on severly impaired frequencies from LICENSED services like broadcast TV, LTE and LMR users

TWC night have learned from the Austin mistakes and is now testing the new channels and repairing issues rather than throwing everyone on them

I'm also seeing IPv6 DNS renew info here whereas most others are not, yet my home network is strapped to IPv4 only