Expert

Re: Maxx on Hold, We were lied to, again.

@shane523 wrote:

Well this sucks! We have ZERO competition here in WI. I cannot get FIOS, I cannot get Gigapower (AT&T), I cannot get anything better than 50X5 and TWC is the only one that goes that high.

Letters went out stating that they would be all digital June 21st and the "rumor" was that we would be seeing MAXX this fall or end of year and now I am wondering if we will be seeing it at all!

Again, "ALL DIGITAL" has nothing to do with the MAXX program... here in Ohio we have around 50 NTSC analog channels as well as the full digital Cable qam lineup and above those, 19 QAM data channels of which 12 have modems on them, 4 look empty and there's 3 more with data.

And we still have from 770-860 mHz open...

If you have a 16x4 modem and see 16 channels, they are in use right now and there's no reason you couldn't be bumped up a couple notches short of server loading.

Oh and by the way, the people still running analog are actually helping the digital cable out by not hogging the SDV channels up.

The only reason for all digital, is to reduce cable theft and cut tech trips to "cut the cable" for nonpayment, and that stupid 2 starter vs standard cable tiers issue that used to be a single "basic cable" tier. The trap/ filter issue is out of control.... with all digital, twc can cutoff/ change a customers box instantly.

Highlighted
Expert

@Labyrinth wrote:

@MsRaye wrote:

TWC still has thousands of 20 meg obsolete docsis 2 modems in service.

And probably still charging monthly for them too.  lol

Yes, For a months rental, you can get them on ebay with free shipping   Woman LOL I wish I had a use for them, Just saw a couple hundred get scrapped as well as a bunch with emta and a lot of docsis 3 4x4 modems marked "will not work on 16 ch system" which prompted me to research why and found they do not have DS bandwidth acceptance to handle widely spaced channels. Robot Sad Several customers have already popped in here with the issue

Observer

Central NY area here. I got a letter last month about the switch over to MAXX, and that I would need a new modem. So, I went and purchased a 16x4 modem. While a lot of my co workers who don't live to far from me have gotten upgraded and are pulling down 300 Mbps, I am still only get 50. I called them today, and at first the rep was not sure why I was not switched over even though it showed on her screen that my modem was compatible. After being placed on hold for some time she came back and said that even though I'm technically in the Syracuse market, they placed the MAXX rollout on hold before getting to Utica and they have no estimated date as to if or when they will finish up.
Expert

go to the signal page... do you show 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels?

If so they got that far.

paste the page here...

Valued Contributor

Reading this thread and seeing that even people in major cities don't have maxx really makes me doubt it'll ever hit my town.

egk
Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

go to the signal page... do you show 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels?

If so they got that far.

paste the page here...

I'm in the same boat and also in Central NY.   I purchased the SB6183 to be ready for the upgrade after getting the letter.  I only had the 121 before that.   I'm not sure what you can tell from the signals but I'll post mine.  I have the 30/5 speed tier.

Expert

They got the channels done, look fineHeart

Is your DS speed now stable and exceeds the tiers?

egk
Contributor

Speed is stable but about the same as it was with the 121 modem I had before.    I'm getting the 30/5 speed I pay for but no increase so far.

I looked at my status page when I read your earlier post and the only difference I see besides the extra bonded channels is my SNR's.   The download looks higher than before while the upload looks a bit lower.   I used to average around 36-38 SNR on the download side when things were good.  I noticed now it's a bit over 40.

I also notice a little fluctuation in the power levels.  When it's colder they're actually a bit better and closer to 0 so it's probably weather fluctuations.

Expert

To get the s/n up that much, eqt was replaced or your node was made smaller with a fiber to coax converter a lot closer.

It should reduce corrected/ uncorrected errors if you had any to start with.

but again, not much of a reason to implement or cancell MAXX

Observer

The cable connection page on my modem is showing 16 Downstream and 4 Upstream channels. Speed tests consistently return 65M down and 6M up. It just annoys me that I can go down the road to my parents house and they have been switched over to MAXX.