Expert

Re: Maxx on Hold, We were lied to, again.

@bodosom wrote:

@pfisterfarm wrote:

I think the original question was do you get notified to swap out your modem if you're using one you own.

I've seen references to an equipment compatibility statement in the new service letter, unsaid was if the device was owned or not. The DOCSIS specification appears to require that the CM be able to identify* itself via SNMP so TWC should know if your CM needs an upgrade for Maxx.

*e.g. HW_REV: 1.01B; VENDOR: NETEAR; BOOTR: 1.1; SW_REV V1.01.05; MODEL: CM600

TWC has already proven that they don't look at the COAM modems ID's and has set many as  docsis 2's per a "billing code" error. You must manually call twc, then put up with tier one and hope they transfer you to tier 3 which are the only ones that can change the code so the COAM device will work properly.

They send out "upgrade your modem"  letters to everyone when MAXX goes in service. Many have thrown out that single letter as junk mail.

Seasoned Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

TWC has already proven that they don't look at the COAM modems ID's

That's false.  I've put all the recent Arris modems in service via a simple call or chat to first level support.  They've all been provisioned and received at least one firmware update.  Automated updates are the intent of the DOCSIS constraints on the sysDescr field.

Expert

explain the billing code errors... they are not a figment of my or at least 20 other posters here.

as a customer you can't automaticly add modems, it requires a call to TWC, myself and MANY others have tried and get a message to call TWC, this on Ubee, Arris and Motorola 8-16 channel current production docsis 3 modems!

Only twc can add customer owned modems and I'll bet you're one of them.

And per another employee at TWC, they only use the first 6 digits of the mac to send the modem provisioning and then flag them all as a "Comsonics" modem which was a docsis 1 modem and no longer in business

Seasoned Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

explain the billing code errors... they are not a figment of my or at least 20 other posters here.

as a customer you can't automaticly add modems, it requires a call to TWC,

I don't have to explain your issues.

Which part of a "simple call ... to first level support" don't you understand?

Which part of "all been provisioned and received at least one firmware update" don't you understand?

TWC can't push new firmware to a modem if they don't know the brand/model/current rev.

egk
Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

Max has nothing to do with the NTSC analog  channel deletion.  Commercials are half truths.

If you have 12 or more qam channels in your modem, that's enough for 200-300 downstream speeds

8 channels only hits the theoretical max of 343 megs with no room for any interference, basicly a lab quality connection  on coax not HFC conversion from/to fiber

You're pretty forgiving.   If what you say is true, the commercials aren't just half truths.  TWC is outright lying to people.  They claim the whole reason for doing away with all the analog channels and making people rent digital adapters for every TV is so they can free up space for the higher bandwidth internet.

In reality, they simply want more control over the customer's usage.  They're better able to monitor you this way plus they can stop losses from people stealing cable by splicing in to the lines.

Expert

I don't know who writes the commercial scripts but I've caught so many half truths and misrepresented speeds as well as people come on here defending stuff that they're getting away with (well it's in the 2 seconds of fine print, lol) In 2 cities they've added over 16 channels and not taken into account the thousands of 4 and 8 channel modems that can't do that wide of a frequency split.

Then there's the "more wireless POWER" for all your devices and TV anywhere...

Some tech savy customers know better, but people hear these incorrect commercials 20 times a day and believe them.

Yes, some channels needed to be removed for more data but the primary limiting factor is the upstream bandwidth which has no place to go, it's stuck on 5-45 mHz and only 18-37 mHz is useable on twc's outdated outside plant

this would require removal of channels 2-6 AND changeout of all outside plant pole amps  all modems, all in house amplifiers to get up to 88 mHz

none of this was designed for cloud storage.

TWC has plans to go to actual FIOS with a fiber modem to ethernet/moca box on the outside of your house and a router in house feeding an IPTV only DVR/cable box sorta what Uverse and google are doing in the gigamax areas, which is the only way to get speeds up and down into the 21st century.

TWC still has thousands of 20 meg obsolete docsis 2 modems in service.

Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

TWC still has thousands of 20 meg obsolete docsis 2 modems in service.

And probably still charging monthly for them too.  lol

Valued Participant

Well this sucks! We have ZERO competition here in WI. I cannot get FIOS, I cannot get Gigapower (AT&T), I cannot get anything better than 50X5 and TWC is the only one that goes that high.

Letters went out stating that they would be all digital June 21st and the "rumor" was that we would be seeing MAXX this fall or end of year and now I am wondering if we will be seeing it at all!

Highlighted
egk
Contributor

Yup, same here.  There is no competition at all where I am other than satellite which is a joke.   Government officials get their palms greased to allow "mergers" that will supposedly benefit the consumer when in reality they're creating government sponsored monopolies.

Analog has already gone away here in Central NY and now we'll need rented boxes or adapters for every TV we have, even tiny portables.  As others have said, the Maxx upgrade was all set to go then the merger happens and now we're in the dark.   All hail SPECTRE er I mean SPECTRUM.

Seasoned Contributor

@egk wrote:

Analog has already gone away here in Central NY and now we'll need rented boxes or adapters for every TV we have, even tiny portables.  As others have said, the Maxx upgrade was all set to go then the merger happens and now we're in the dark.

You get no sympathy here.  This is the Internet section of the forum and we want better speed for less money so goodbye and good riddance to analog bandwidth hogs.

If you want TV perhaps you should petition your market affiliates to put in some repeaters and you can go OTA.

Do note that Charter wasn't the first company after TWC and the DOJ objections presumably were not the results of palms being greased:

"Citing the reduction of competition in the broadband and cable industries that would result from the merger, the Department of Justice planned to file an antitrust lawsuit against Comcast and Time Warner Cable in an effort to block it. On April 24, 2015, Comcast announced that it would withdraw its proposal to acquire TWC. Afterward, TWC would enter into an agreement to be acquired by Charter Communications."

By the way I wish people would stop saying merger.  Charter did a high leverage acquisition (the A of M&A) of TWC and BH (after trying twice before in what TWC probably considered a hostile take-over attempts).  That massive debt is going to come back to haunt customers.

"Charter Communications Inc (CHTR.O) said Wednesday it has completed its acquisition of Time Warner Cable Inc TWC.N and Bright House Networks LLC, creating the second-largest U.S. broadband provider and third-largest pay TV provider.

Charter has valued its deal for Time Warner Cable at $56.7 billion, excluding debt, and the acquisition of Bright House at $10.4 billion."