Helper

Maxx on Hold, We were lied to, again.

Seems Maxx is not going to happen nationwide, they send out 

letters and just days later renige on their promise, What a lousy

customer experience.

82 REPLIES 82
Expert

Re: Maxx on Hold, We were lied to, again.

The other issue is the limited bandwidth of 4 and 8 ch modems, the CMTS's are assigning channels over the full 16 and beyond the modems bandwidth. Another reason the cable co's won't go over 16 ch's, so buying those expensive 24 &32 ch modems was a $$$ waste... and yes, 100/5 service isn't going to be very popular

at the extreme/ ultimate prices after paying $100 too much for unneeded modem "features"

Highlighted
Helper

Well in New York State at least they WILL be delivering 300mbs, they make take the entire 42 months

as per merge condition, reporting requirements 90 days after close of deal on upgrade plans with entire state

including the abysmal system in Colombia County.. 

My issue is everything was ready, all they had to do was flip the switch, the equpment and sofware are in place.for

the Syracuse division, days before it was supposed to go live in about thirty counties, exec. send out a moratorium,

.... after they glossy letters saying Maxx is days away...  

I am  going ot reach out to the reporter who covers media for the Syracuse papers, see if he can get some

better answers as to the pr disaster they did not thing about effecdting people four days before the switch was supposed to be turned on.

Observer

Stop the Cap! worked very hard on educating New York regulators about just how bad this merger deal was all along, and to their credit, they listened and adopted many of our proposals, including the requirement TWC Maxx be provided to every New York community served by TWC as a condition of the merger approval. They cannot walk away from that commitment in this state, but they can take their time here, and the rest of the country may be out of luck period because of the shameful dereliction of regulator oversight on the state level. 

To remind people, all Charter is offering is two speed tiers - 60 and 100Mbps (for $60 and $100 a month respectively after the promo ends) no later than the end of 2019. In contrast, TWC Maxx would likely have been complete nationwide by the end of next year or very early in 2018. Some upgrade, huh? Three times less speed for a lot more money than TWC charges for 300Mbps to anyone that asks for a deal. 

Where Time Warner Cable Maxx was previously announced, it will be switched on. We have learned the delay is part of some top to bottom cost review ordered by Charter management, who wants to ring cost savings out of a deal they put on their credit card. Charter is much smaller than TWC. This deal performed handsomely for top executives who cashed in, but also saddled Charter with tens of billions in shady debt. Charter has already been bankrupt once and the corporate bankruptcy laws allowed them an easy out then, so they always have that option again later on.

This is a corporate decision coming from Charter's executive suites so nobody at TWC will have any answers until another memo comes down from Rutledge & Co, the Charter execs.

I will continue to pass all this along to the NY PSC so they can monitor the situation and apply pressure where necessary. 

-- Phillip Dampier (Rochester, NY)

Stopthecap.com

Established Sharer

@Dampier wrote:

To remind people, all Charter is offering is two speed tiers - 60 and 100Mbps (for $60 and $100 a month respectively after the promo ends) no later than the end of 2019. In contrast, TWC Maxx would likely have been complete nationwide by the end of next year or very early in 2018. Some upgrade, huh? Three times less speed for a lot more money than TWC charges for 300Mbps to anyone that asks for a deal. 

-------------
THAT is completely GARBAGE!
60 megs would be 3 times what I have now, and $60 would be LESS than what I'm paying TWC now as well!!
WHEN Charter has had time to digest the purchase, I'm SURE that they will move to continue upgrades to what TWC had or planned.  it WON'T and CAN'T be done overnight!
Observer

@DaKat wrote:

@Dampier wrote:

-------------
60 megs would be 3 times what I have now, and $60 would be LESS than what I'm paying TWC now as well!!
WHEN Charter has had time to digest the purchase, I'm SURE that they will move to continue upgrades to what TWC had or planned.  it WON'T and CAN'T be done overnight!

If you are paying $60+ for Turbo service right now, you can change that with one phone call. Call Time Warner Cable and tell them you are considering canceling your service because the price they are charging is too high. Our readers routinely pay $44.95-$49.95 for Turbo, renewable annually on a promotion that gets extended if you ask. Just ask for that promotion.

If Charter never entered the picture, within a year you would be getting 100/10Mbps Turbo service from TWC Maxx for the same price you are paying right now for what would be at most 60Mbps from Charter. But even before that, if you follow my advice above, you'll be saving another $20+ a month starting today. So tell me again how that is "garbage." Just because you allow yourself to be overcharged doesn't mean the rest of us have to as well. 

Charter doesn't need time to "digest" the purchase. For at least a year, executives already told shareholders they will leave the current TWC management and systems largely intact and in place. This is nothing more than an effort to wring cost savings out to placate shareholders, while further alienating customers. Anyway you slice it, we were better off with TWC Maxx than anything Charter is offering.

Established Sharer

If Charter never entered the picture, within a year you would be getting 100/10Mbps Turbo service from TWC Maxx for the same price you are paying right now for what would be at most 60Mbps from Charter.

------------

Unless you are a person AT Charter, WITH a lot of power and authority, you have NO better idea than *I* do about what will happen tomorrow and into the future.

But I can GUARANTEE you, things will NOT stay the same.  They never DO, and never have.

BTW, got my first Bill after the sale yesterday, and it DROPPED by $15 a month already (I was paying $175 for TV/Internet, now it's $159), with NO change in service.

IF they go to 60 megs down, that's STILL a BIG plus for me.

Helper

@Dampier wrote:

Stop the Cap! worked very hard on educating New York regulators about just how bad this merger deal was all along, and to their credit, they listened and adopted many of our proposals, including the requirement TWC Maxx be provided to every New York community served by TWC as a condition of the merger approval. They cannot walk away from that commitment in this state, but they can take their time here, and the rest of the country may be out of luck period because of the shameful dereliction of regulator oversight on the state level. 

Where Time Warner Cable Maxx was previously announced, it will be switched on. We have learned the delay is part of some top to bottom cost review ordered by Charter management, who wants to ring cost savings out of a deal they put on their credit card. Charter is much smaller than TWC. This deal performed handsomely for top executives who cashed in, but also saddled Charter with tens of billions in shady debt. Charter has already been bankrupt once and the corporate bankruptcy laws allowed them an easy out then, so they always have that option again later on.

This is a corporate decision coming from Charter's executive suites so nobody at TWC will have any answers until another memo comes down from Rutledge & Co, the Charter execs.

I will continue to pass all this along to the NY PSC so they can monitor the situation and apply pressure where necessary. 

-- Phillip Dampier (Rochester, NY)

Stopthecap.com

Thanks for info, and your input to NY regulators, we will see 300Mb/s in 42 months, no matter the short term impacts of merger. As for executive parachutes, Good point Marcus walked away with 100 million dollars, not chicken feed.

Seasoned Contributor

Hopefully maybe reasonable alternatives will appear in those 42 months, in NY and elsewhere

Helper

I was/am not mad about the moratorium, but to do it to do customers that are days away from switch being turned on, literally, without notice, AFTER the glossy letters was kind of aggravating, at least INY State they have bound themselves to upgrading the entire system to Maxx standards within 42 months, so it all ain't bad.
  =) 
-------------