Highlighted
Participant

Levels causing lagging?

IMG_2471.PNGThe other night my internet service was down for a little over an hour. When it came back on, I noticed the lights on the modem for upstream and downstream were blinking yellow, so I checked the diagnostic page and saw only one DS channel and one US channel listed. I rebooted the modem and all my channels reappeared but my DS power is much higher than it has ever been and one channel is markedly lower. 

I work from home home and tutor virtually so I'm streaming video classes with students. Tonight I noticed a lot of lagging. That's not particularly abnormal on weekends, but I wasn't sure if higher DS levels could be leading to this issue. Please advise. If this is indicative of an issue, I'd rather be proactive and try to get someone out before serious service problems start. Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
Helper

Re: Levels causing lagging?

Since the internet came back up have you experienced any problems? Perhaps a crew was working on the system nearby and interrupted service for a bit.

The downstream power levels are a bit wonky.  They should not be flucuating that much from top to bottom.  You may have a loose connection or damaged coax somewhere that needs checked out, or if a crew was performing maintenance maybe they left something undone. Definitely get a tech to come out and check your lines and equipment to rule out anything in your home.

Also of note...though not critical and certainly not the cause of your problem...you may want to consider updating the modem. Most areas now can take advantage of 24 downstream channels. 

Proven Sharer

reds91185 makes a valid point:  Spectrum speed tiers above 100 Mbps need 16 or more DS channels.  And Spectrum will provide the modem, included in your monthly internet service charge.

I'll add a second suggestion:  Upgrade the link between your computer and modem+router to a wired ethernet CAT-5e cable.  WiFi NEVER improves signal quality or latency compared to a hard-wired connection.  

Participant

Thank you both! I actually have not upgraded yet and I'm still under an old TWC plan with 50/5  upload speeds. My speed test results are generally good and I do hardwire a connection for my tutoring work. I was just not working when I checked the diagnostics. I checked all the cables in my home and made sure everything was tight and rebooted. Below are the signal levels after the reboots. Variation seems less. I will definitely be looking at a modem upgrade when I convert to a Spectrum plan and I'll keep an eye on the levels to see if they begin to vary more. 

Downstream

DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 12 525.00 MHz 8.51 dBmV 38.61 dB 256QAM 8769589 10 0
Downstream 2 11 519.00 MHz 8.50 dBmV 38.98 dB 256QAM 3758818 1 0
Downstream 3 10 513.00 MHz 8.77 dBmV 38.61 dB 256QAM 3806955 9 0
Downstream 4 13 531.00 MHz 8.45 dBmV 38.26 dB 256QAM 3468610 14 0
Downstream 5 2 459.00 MHz 9.50 dBmV 39.40 dB 256QAM 4453978 0 0
Downstream 6 3 465.00 MHz 9.59 dBmV 39.85 dB 256QAM 3573454 1 0
Downstream 7 4 471.00 MHz 9.48 dBmV 39.85 dB 256QAM 3397629 20 0
Downstream 8 5 477.00 MHz 9.15 dBmV 39.85 dB 256QAM 3689014 0 0
Reset FEC Counters
Upstream

UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 1 17.60 MHz 39.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM
Upstream 2 4 36.80 MHz 40.25 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM
Upstream 3 3 30.40 MHz 39.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM
Upstream 4 2 24.00 MHz 39.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

Contributor

Your SNR both down and upstream are a little too low for my tastes. You got any splitters? You may need an amp to raise those SNR. Also toss that 8x4 modem and get a 16x4. Also it may financially benefit you to scrap the TWC plan and go with a Spectrum plan. Most areas now have 200mbps as the base speed. You might get a free upgrade. check it out.

Proven Sharer

Beg to differ with the previous poster.  Your signal levels both up and down are fine.  There's no need for concern.  Incoming SNR exceeds 37 dB on all channels, which is more than adequate for 50/5 internet service including your video streaming or a VPN.  If at some time in the future you want to increase your speed tier, consider starting at the basic 100 using the modem+router that Spectrum includes for free. 

Sharer

Looks like a lot of noise creeping in somewhere (notice the big gap to uncorrectables on that one channel, and the wide gaps in channel ID's and signal levels).

Need to get a tech on-site to make sure everything is up to snuff locally. Have to go through that process before they will go out to the pole and such (unless they spot something specific upstream when monitoring your line/logs).

Ideally, you should look into transitioning to a higher channel modem though... be that getting a new one, transitioning to a Spectrum plan and modem (or one of your own if you prefer).

During periods of high congestion/noise your downstream speeds can drop below the equivalent of 5mbps per bonded channel... in extreme cases below a 3mbps equivalent. Not uncommon to see our 100mbps neighborhoods dropping to right at/below the 60-ish mark because we are still heavily weighted to 16 and 8 channel customer owned modems here. This is why the recommended modems have so many channels compared to the subscribed tiers... it is to provide more flexibility to maintain a higher minimum throughput under heavier loads.

If the cost is your big concern, get in touch with your local office (not the 800 number, physically go to the local office). Sometimes the locals will have some flexibility to help in the short-term while things are still transitioning. It all depends on what services you need and where they are in the process and all... eventually everyone will have to go to the rate card plans. But if they are still transitioning, they may be able to help out a little bit in the mean time.
Participant

Thank you all for your advice. I already pay an insane amount for services, so I can't imagine I'd pay anymore. I'm not on a promo or anything like that. Honestly, I just haven't wanted to mess with things as long as they were working because of how much my work depends on connectivity. I did call in and speak with someone at Spectrum. They accessed my modem and had me do a speed test. The women said all of my levels were within spec and that my speeds were great (They are.). She said she couldn't see anything that would justify a tech at this time. She was very nice and waited for me to reboot to see if things would change but the results were the same. I guess unless my problems get worse, I'll have to wait it out.

Helper

Spectrum internet plans are generally a better deal when compared to the legacy TWC plans. You may come out ahead by switching. Have you checked on that or are you just wanting to leave well enough alone?

Edit: Also of note...modem fees are included in all Spectrum plans and there is no wifi fee for Ultra or Gig tiers. 

Participant

I did check on it a while back and it is a better deal. I need to call back and see if I can get the equipment switched to switch it myself or if I have to make an appointment.