I've been monitoring a potential issue on my connection for some time now, and here's the story:
I have a Motorola SB6141 on TWC's 50/5 Package. I recently rewired my network and ran my RG6 and CAT 6a through the wall. I made sure I was careful to place the lines at 90 degrees where they crossed power lines, and kept them seperate at least a foot away from a parallel power line running to a socket that powers the network area. For extra security, the RG6 is Quad-shield and the CAT 6a is STP.
After I got everything set up (I can't confirm if these issues were present prior to installing, I just was sensetive to network issues after I got everything put together), I've been noticing small connectivity issues and latency spikes, along with packet consecutive packet loss for three to four seconds at a time randomly (though not often) running continuous ping to 22.214.171.124. It's not equipment (recently installed a ASUS AC88U with the network relocation) or my ethernet drops, I've verified the lines are running full throughput to devices on network with no packet loss.
I went to check Modem stats and noticed I had two of my eight channels with much higher uncorrectable code word counters with an uptime of five days and some change (I made sure my counters cleared and there was fresh reboot)
Channel - Unerrored - Correctable - Uncorrectable
Channel 1 - 19550068534 - 381 - 2493
Channel 4 - 19543189005 - 1017537 - 5935317
Channel 5 - 19549467202 - 104858 - 527254
Channel 6 - 19550097528 - 5121 - 2329
Channel 7 - 19550042719 - 18754 - 1427
Channel 8 - 19550060341 - 2059 - 1590
Channel 9 - 19550063061 - 413 - 1575
Channel 10 - 19550064354 - 305 - 1464
I went and verified my connections on the keystones in the wall and my 2GHz splitter in the crawl space, and there's no signs of any issue with connections being lose or exposed to elements. The grounding connection on the exterior of my house is also secure. I'm not sure where these errors could be coming from and just happening on these channels alone.
Any advice? Any further troubleshooting?
Copy and paste the signal level page. It includes the carrier frequency for each of the DS channel numbers. And before you ask, no, they are not standardized across Spectrum's patchwork quilt of operating companies.
(The stats reset when I reseated the RG6 off the keystone in the wall, but it still shows the same problems. Modem uptime is 16 hours)
The line runs:
Pole -> Grounding Terminal -> Main Splitter -> Modem
-> TV Splitter -> Two Boxes
The Distance between the modem and splitter is about 75ft of cable. The distance between splitter and pole is, maybe, 200ft?
You have bad coax connections and are getting ingress from your AT&T and Tmobile LTE phones
something is corroded or loose. or the coax is fed thru asurge strip.
Maybe my new Coax F Connectors are bad? My lines don't feed through a surge strip, it runs directly to modem from the splitter. Nothing is loose, I verfied all the connections from here to where the wire meets the grounding terminal on the exterior of the home; where my wire meets the wire from the pole. I used a small pair of channel locks to screw the F Connectors snug at all connections.
The only new cable I installed is the keystone in the wall and the 3ft cable that runs from the wall to the modem. Everything else was there prior to install, and as I said, I never noticed it prior to. Should I start at the 3ft patch and work my way down the line?
Also, I do have AT&T phones.
your AT&T phones transmit in the 705-711 range and receive in the 735-741 range.
Tmobile and ma/pa services are usually in the 699-705 tx and 729-735 range. Sprint is usually in old 800 mHz legacy cellular channels and Verizon is in the 750-800 range. There's also land mobile radio scattered in segments from 717-950 mHz
F connectors must be properly attached compression ones as hex crimps are no longer acceptable.. How many ports on the splitter and where do they go?
are any open? That's an issue.
Splitter is a One-to-Two 2GHz. Neither end is open as one leads to the modem and the other to the TV Splitter, though I can probably guess there are open ends of the TV splitter. Is that likely to backfeed into the line?
I have a Quad-shielded Cable that runs through the wall that never gave me problems, I can probably just cut a section off of it and use it as a patch since there's slack in the line between the modem and the splitter.
I'll go ahead and start with replacing the patch with some extras I have. If the patch doesn't work, I'll go and cut a strip from my wire I know is good and run it from the keystone. If it still shows errors, I'll just remove the keystone and run the line directly out of the wall and into the modem. If that doesn't work, well, then, I guess I can start going extreme and sealing connections with electric tape? lol
So a bit of an update, I replaced my patch cable from the modem to the keystone with a new one.
I went into the crawl space and located the TV splitter and found it had an extra cable that ended in a room that was no longer hooked up to the TV. I swapped it to a two-way splitter and connected the two live TV lines so all splitters were filled and there was no need to terminate any ends (luckily, since I don't have any terminators).
All ends are secure, as I checked them again and fit them snug with a pair of channel locks. Initial stats on the modem show promising, but I'll hold to see if further changes need to be done. Hopefully not.
I rebooted the whole network, and now, we play the waiting game...